Tishah asked in PetsDogs · 7 years ago

What's the proper time to visit a dog I had to give away to a close friend?

For health reasons, today I gave away my beloved Daisy to a close friend. I'm so very heartbroken and I wonder are there recommended time guidelines to wait for bonding before, it's healthy for Daisy if we revisit her in the future. Thank you for any help you can provide,

Grieving, Tish

Favorite Answer

For anyone who had a strong bond with and affection for their dog, severing ties and getting used to the dog not being around would be hard, but in the short term, perhaps six months to a year, it would be in the best interest of Daisy if she was given time to settle in and begin to form a new bond with your close friend.

You could request photo updates by email and to briefly know how she is getting on or a video on Youtube, so you can see that she is happy and adapting to her new life, which would be some comfort after being put in a position where you had to put your health first and find a permanent and responsible home for your dog, where she would be cared for.

At a later date if your friend is happy for you to met up with what is now her dog, perhaps arrange to go for a walk in the park, but keep things friendly and not overly affectionate with Daisy.

• Grinch

Sorry to hear, but ... for Daisy's sake, the best time to visit is ... never.

If you visit her anytime soon, you will break her heart again every time you leave without her. If you leave her to her new owner and new home, she'll settle in much more easily. In time, she may forget you.

That's incredibly painful to hear or even think about ... but that's what's best for Daisy.