Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicComics & Animation · 7 years ago

Is X-men about homosexuality?

One of my friend said Xmen were designed with the "mutants" are metaphors for black people,with Charles Xavier as Martin Luther King and Magneto as Malcolm X

But when I started watching the X men animated series,I feel they're actually mentioning about homosexuality with dialogues like

1.People fear us as they dont understand us

2.Ordinary men calling mutants as freaks

3.Ur mutant abilities "comes out" when u're in your teens

4.Parents feeling bad that their kids are mutants....

5.Some can hide their mutant powers and live like ordinary people,while some have tell tale signs

So,was it created about homosexuality,but it was hidden with a layer of racism,because your skin color is an inborn quality which you inherit from your parents...and you dont hide it from anyone....

Someone else thought the same thing???

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Rebbi
    Lv 6
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The X-Men were originally created as Marvel's teenage group, but mutants were quickly taken as the prime minority group in the Marvel Universe.

Basically, the X-Men and mutants stand for every minority group on the planet. It also depends on the decade. During the 60's and 70's they seemed to be more related to Racism, handicapped and Anti Semitism than Gay rights- most of the early mutants had their powers from a very young age (not just at puberty) or at a mature age, there were many aluusion to WWII concentration and death camps, the laws passed against mutants were very much like the laws discriminating against black people or Jews in 30's Germany, etc.

In the 80's and 90's when the gay movement really started to grow, they seemed to be more representative of gay people. The whole "mutation at puberty" thing started, the mutants got their own special disease everyone feared (Legacy Virus = AIDS), there was even some commentary about how normal people viewed relationships between mutants in public as sick or twisted.

Basically, Mutants stand for everyone.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

Waitaminute there is a lot more going on -- in a historical context -- than that. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby were born Stanley Lieber and -- I believe Jacob Kurtzberg. They chose these names for their professional work because they sold better they felt. And they may have changed their names legally. They were DEFINITELY of a time when WASPS hated Jews -- my grandmother said of a Jewish friend of my oldest sister "What a nice Italian girl". so yes Lee and Kirby experienced discrimination and this fed into the series, but they did so as Jews (read Isaac Asimov on his relations with Columbia University. Brr.). We may understand things as gay or not -- but yes in some ways our experiences do change over time.

• 7 years ago

No and when it is about that it is fairly obvious to spot the difference.

For example:

Not about being Gay:

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/GoD/img/2012/01/2012-17...

When it is about that:

http://media.komonews.com/images/Marvel+Gay+Weddin...

There really isn't any ambiguity.

Umm, and those themes that you have noticed are things that everyone can feel for one reason or another. It can be applied to many different groups. It is a universal theme. That is why so many different people watch it. It could easily be applied to womens rights, being jewish, etc.

• 7 years ago

well no, they are just deiscriminated the same way as gays

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

No. This came before the gay way.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.