Proper addressing of wedding invitations?

I am finding so much conflicting information about this on the web!!

Our wedding is not going to be incredibly formal; it will be outdoors in a country setting. However I do want to be somewhat "proper" when it comes to addressing the invitations. We are having a calligrapher address all of our envelopes.

One issue I'm having is that much of the information I've found online says that the inner envelope should be more specific than the outer envelope as far as who's invited -- but our invitations will not have an inner envelope. Should the outer envelope then contain all the names to the same extent as the inner envelope would, if there was one?

For example, is "Mr. and Mrs. Smith and Family" sufficient or should we list the names of the children invited?

If childrens' names are to be written out, should we use the titles "Miss" for girls and "Master" for boys?

Our friends and family members who are single will be allowed to bring a guest -- should the envelope be addressed to "Mr. John Smith and guest"?

One website I mentioned that when addressing wedding invitations you should "avoid using the title Ms. as it is often used in business." What does that mean?? I thought that Ms. was always used to address unmarried women over the age of 18??

I appreciate any input!!

7 Answers

  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    If you have no inner envelope, then you should address it to whomever is invited. You won't have room on the envelopes to write:

    Mr. and Mrs. David Smith

    Master Kevin, Master James, and Miss Kelly

    Just write Mr. and Mrs. David Smith and family if all of the children are invited.

    For single friends, yes the outer envelope is addressed to Mr. John Smith and guest.

    I would definitely use Ms. for all unmarried women over age 18 or even 16. Miss is an okay address for girls.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

    One thing to remember is that the internet is full of people who just make stuff up. Some of what I've read about weddings makes my head spin.

    Mr. and Mrs. Smith and Family is fine for the parents and any kids under the age of 18. After that, they're supposed to get their own invites, even if they live at home.

    On the outer envelope for single people, it's best to cover this one on the rsvp card. (I assume you have one, along with a self addressed return envelope). You'd write in the person's name, and then put guest with a yes or no. And then total meals or something. There's lots of these online to get exact wording if you want. You'd also do this with "plus family". Even if they have 4 kids, it doesn't mean they'll bring them, or that all would come. You'll need a final guest count. This is how you get it.

    And Ms is fine.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • BBG
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

    I appreciate you wanting to do this correctly, but your wedding isn't overly formal and your invitations are certainly casual.

    I think "and Family" is just fine. Kids over 18 are "adults" and should receive their own invite even if still living at home.

    And Ms. is perfectly appropriate. It is the female equivalent of sir. Both are gender-specific terms of respect that do not take into consideration marital status. I'm 42 and I do NOT want to be defined by whether I have a husband or not. :-)

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

    We did Mr. and Mrs. Smith and Family, and with single we did Ms. Smith and guests. I only used Miss and master for my programs not invites.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

    I would write out the children's names and add Miss and Master for them. Also I like the idea of saying Mr so and so and guest. Keep in mind that nothing is done traditional anymore people are just going with whatever they want. If I got an invitation and it added my children's names they would be delighted. Go with whatever will make you happy. Good luck!

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

    Mr. and Mrs. Smith and family

    Mr. John Smith and guest

    I like the MS thing....I think you should go with that.

    Congratulations on your up and coming marriage. You deserve to be happy. Don't let wedding arrangements overwhelm you.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

    well ms or miss is the way to address any unmarried woman/girl regardless of age. an i think its bets if you put their full names on it, its less formal but sil....formal if you know what i mean, its more personal, sending the invites to john and dasie smith, madam cala and heather and master thistle or the lord thistle and ladies cala and heather, and then undernieth write ''guests welcome'' so they know that they can bring guests. i think putting their surnames on it keeps it formal but putting first names instead of initials makes it more personal, less like a busieness sending them official documents. and addressing the children as madam and master will make them happy ^^

    i wouldnt worry to much about it, you could have just asked the coligropher, she/he probably deals with stuff like this all the time and will be able to advise you on what to say.

    hope this helps =)

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.