Why are Blacks called African American when most of them don't know which part of Africa they are from?

Maybe we aren't from Africa. Maybe we're from some place else. Besides, when you ask most people what country they're from or continent, they'll say which one. If you ask me, what part of Africa I'm from, I won't know. It's best to be called Black.

Best Answer

It is just a recognition of generally where someone originated, genetically. Since most of Africa was structured differently than Europe, it is sometimes harder to get a fix on where a person might have their ethnic origins. One academic, African American, encouraged several African American celebrities to have a DNA test to get their genetic markers. Most came from places like Senegal, Angola, and other West African places with countries now like countries like Ivory Coast, Ghana, Nigeria, etc. He laughingly said many also had this other genetic marker called Northern European.

As a white, I don't mind the term European-American as that is where the vast majority of whites originate. I have some good friends from the Southeastern US who say they came from poor whites and unknown to many outside the South, many of them have "black" relatives as well. It seems Uncle Pierre wasn't French. Bon jour! So, are they white or are they black? As my friend says, yes! He argues that genetically mixed people are the most thoroughly American.

Now, what does this mean long term? Probably Americans will be a dizzying mix of ethnic traditions. That can be very liberating as you get to pick how much of each tradition you wish to embrace. So you could be an African American Buddhist married to a Latina/Latino Catholic.

The term "African American" can be viewed in diverse ways with diverse meanings.Since African Americans of the U.S.A. are in no manner the only Black peoples of the Americas.A Black Brazilian or a Black Cuban or a. Black Haitian or a Black Dominican is also of Subsaharan African blood/ancestry and they are also citizens of any country of the Americas and they also qualify to be identified as Afro Americano(African American).The U.S.A. Is in no manner the only American country in the Americas.Most Subsaharan African slaves ended up in Latin America during the colonial era,when Spain,Portugal & France were using Blacks as slaves.

"Black" lol....you mean a term that is associated with everything

negative? black holes, black filth and dirt, black clouds, "a black day",

BLACK PEOPLE....yet ironically "White" is associated with everything

positive, east asians rid themselves of such foolishness such as "yellow"

and native americans "red indian" yet people like you throw around the term

"Black" as though it's some badge of honour compared to "african american"

african american actually MEANS something...it MEANS american of african

descent, whilst the term "black" is completely and utterly meaningless. But then

again, White America has brainwashed Black People into hating themselves that

much that even being called "african" makes you feel uncomfortable...maybe you

should watch a Pro-Black American DVD called "hidden colors", because they

wear the "african american" tag with pride.

Plus these "White" and "Black" terms just show how obsessed America still

is with Race...America is still continuing to promote and prolong the social

construct of race. Such terms only add fuel to the fire.

• Everyone has the freedom to call themselves whatever they like, so if you want to introduce yourself to others as a Black American, it is your prerogative. Likewise, it is another persons choice to address themselves as an African American.

So sorry, but it is just too bad for you, if you don't like it because you think you know what is best for everybody..

As for me, I'm a Kiwi and occasionally, I'm in the mood to call myself an NZdr.

Source(s): NZdr

Its a term pc used to sugarcoat the real word that describes blacks. Blacks get offended by the term black for some odd reason.

TSK: Most white people DO know where they are from. They can look at their last name and tell. Most people also have a whole list of countries where their ancestors came from.

• Z

Most of us call ourselves Black American.

I'm not the color black so why should I say that.

I use brown.

• TSK

MOST whites do NOT really know what part of EUROPE theirs came from.....