Mini refrigerator won't get cold?

So I got back into my dorm after a long weekend at home. When I open the fridge, the ice has melted and everything inside is hot. I check the compressor and it is hot to the touch, hot enough to burn. I plug it back in and all I hear is 2 clicks. Is the fridge broken?

It's just clicking in pairs every five minutes or so.

• Favorite Answer

Most likley the compressor start relay just failed...cost is about $15 from an appliance parts store. Common failure on mini-fridges.

-Addtl info-

A hot shot, or "hard start kit" would most likely fix it too since a new start relay is built into the kit along w/ the boost capacitor.

I've never seen a refrigeration compressor that didnt have a start and run winding. I've repaired several mini fridges that all experienced this behavior...the compressor would just hum then the overload would click out b/c it failed to start. Rinse and repeat until it either burns up the run winding, the overload fails, or someone unplugs it. The cyclic clicking is the overload tripping and resetting. The thermostat would only inevitably click once...to call for cooling...it would not click a 2nd time since it is never satisifed since the compressor is not starting.

In all but 1 I've repaired over the last 2 yrs it was the PTC start relay causing this. It could be a locked compressor too though. If it does the same thing after replacing the relay/cap or putting a hard start kit on it then its shot, the compressor is locked up. I usually will try to test the compressor by "manually" starting it but I don't want to describe that since it can be dangerous if you aren't familiar with electricity.

Source(s): Experience...have replaced many

Mini Refrigerator Compressor

• aimone

Mini Fridge Compressor

• Mary

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/TQ5YV

Mini fridges are not nearly as well designed as regular fridges. If it has a freezer section and it's frozen over this will prevent the rest from getting cold. There is no air circulation in these and that means when the freezer gets covered in ice the temperature controller it in ice instead of air and it thinks it's very cold and won't turn on the cooling system. Another alternative is that it may be broken.

Compressor is locked with no thermal safety lockout relay. LRA (locked rotor amps) are too much to overcome for the current capacitor. Put a hot shot on it, see what happens. A hot shot is a really large in-line capacitor (far larger than the one already on it). If it works, it works. If not, it's dead. The two clicks are the thermostat giving a cool call and failing.

--Edit--

Yeah, it could be a start relay, but it would be unusual since the compressor is obviously getting power. Run and start are normally not seperated on a mini-fridge compressor. Try replacing both the cap and the relay or go with the hot shot cap.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Mini refrigerator won't get cold?

Source(s): mini refrigerator won 39 cold: https://shortly.im/3Lrxy