Should I just give up my grandson?

My grandson is 6 years old. His mom is my daughter. She lives in Brooklyn,but travels a lot. Year before last she married a Russian man and didn't even tell me! She had been in Russia for a couple months for a work related project. Next thing I know she comes to Baltimore without saying that she's coming where I live with my grandson, her son, though she never CLAIMS him. She has this guy with her who speaks English so heavily that he can barely be understood and tells my grandson this is his stepfather. My grandson who is a very sweet boy was confused,because my daughter has never said who my grandson's father is. Now all of a sudden he has a new Daddy!

My new son-in-law wasn't too pleased with my grandson. He kept calling him soft and weak and even smacked him when he didn't think he was moving fast enough to answer his mother. I spoke up,but my daughter told me to mind my business, that was HER boy.

My daughter has NEVER cared for my grandson a day in his life. Education ALWAYS came first. He was born when she was in her 3rd year old college, she went back to classes after her 6 weeks were up and dropped my grandson with me. Graduated,moved to Brooklyn to attend NYU for her Masters degree and never looked back. Now all of a sudden she wants to be a Mama.

My new son in law smacked my grandson several times during their stay and my grandson was terrified by the time they left. No contact after that for almost a year accept for the usual check in the mail for his care.

Last week she calls me and tells me that when school ends for summer break, she's sending her new husband to Baltimore to get her son and bring him to Brooklyn. I asked why she wasn't coming. She said because she'll be out of the country then and to just hand him over to he new husband.

I can't get a good night's sleep thinking of what my son in law will do to my grandson when he gets on his nerves. I talked to a lawyer, but he told me that I had no legal right to keep my grandson.

• R
    Favorite Answer

by all means you have legal rights, you have been raising him already, petition the court and raise your concerns about the child abuse as well

• Leanne

|Someone must have official guardianship of your grandson - you or your daughter. If the lawyer told you that you have no legal rights, then presumably on all documentation your daughter is his actual guardian and next of kin, and his residence with you is unofficial? If so, your only redress is to fight it through the courts.

If you are already his official guardian, then it is up to your daughter to bring a case to ask for guardianship to return to her.

Whichever side of the court you are on, gather as much evidence as possible - record and keep phone conversations,maybe have a hidden recording camera in the room, don't see them without a witness. You don't have to just accept this. If he smacks your grandson, that is unacceptable. Go back to your lawyer, or get another one, you need to arm yourself with as much information as possible, know your rights, know what strategies you can employe, knowledge is power and can set you on a clear course of action.

You do have a right to keep your grandson. His mother left him for a year, and her husband hits him! That is not right. You should speak to some police officers, or a judge. She gave her son to you for a year. She stepped out of his life for a year -- 12 months -- 365 days. She shouldn't have the right to take him back, and on top of that she isn't even going to be picking him up, she's sending a man that hits him to pick him up -- you should fight this. I would.

I would try another lawyer. If you have been caring for the boy for nearly six years I would be looking for an abandonment issue. I think a good lawyer can make a very strong case for you.

NOOOOOO dont give him up if u see that a 6 year old helpless boy is being smacked around by a grown man for no apparent reason then i dont think you should give him up... you need to keep him and file for FULL custody

Source(s): hope i helped god bless you and your grandson
  • Vash

Continue to get advice, fight to keep him safe any means you can, you might have to be as creative as legally allows you. Sad situation, good luck.

you should call a lawyer asap!!!!! this guy sounds like a guy who could seriously hurt your grandson

• Ty

You have the right to this child's custody, file for it. and make a police report on the SIL's abuse.