Should I just give up my grandson?

My grandson is 6 years old. His mom is my daughter. She lives in Brooklyn,but travels a lot. Year before last she married a Russian man and didn't even tell me! She had been in Russia for a couple months for a work related project. Next thing I know she comes to Baltimore without saying that she's coming... show more My grandson is 6 years old. His mom is my daughter. She lives in Brooklyn,but travels a lot. Year before last she married a Russian man and didn't even tell me! She had been in Russia for a couple months for a work related project. Next thing I know she comes to Baltimore without saying that she's coming where I live with my grandson, her son, though she never CLAIMS him. She has this guy with her who speaks English so heavily that he can barely be understood and tells my grandson this is his stepfather. My grandson who is a very sweet boy was confused,because my daughter has never said who my grandson's father is. Now all of a sudden he has a new Daddy!
My new son-in-law wasn't too pleased with my grandson. He kept calling him soft and weak and even smacked him when he didn't think he was moving fast enough to answer his mother. I spoke up,but my daughter told me to mind my business, that was HER boy.
My daughter has NEVER cared for my grandson a day in his life. Education ALWAYS came first. He was born when she was in her 3rd year old college, she went back to classes after her 6 weeks were up and dropped my grandson with me. Graduated,moved to Brooklyn to attend NYU for her Masters degree and never looked back. Now all of a sudden she wants to be a Mama.
My new son in law smacked my grandson several times during their stay and my grandson was terrified by the time they left. No contact after that for almost a year accept for the usual check in the mail for his care.
Last week she calls me and tells me that when school ends for summer break, she's sending her new husband to Baltimore to get her son and bring him to Brooklyn. I asked why she wasn't coming. She said because she'll be out of the country then and to just hand him over to he new husband.
I can't get a good night's sleep thinking of what my son in law will do to my grandson when he gets on his nerves. I talked to a lawyer, but he told me that I had no legal right to keep my grandson.