Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 7 years ago

I need some new books to read!?

I LOVE to read and I need some new books and series.

Some of my favorite books are:

Water for Elephants

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

The Wrinkle in Time series

Jurassic Park

The Harry Potter series ( who hasn't read those?)

The Hunger Games

Tom Sawyer

and any Roald Dahl books, I've read Matilda about 10 times

Thank You so much! :)

Favorite Answer

You could try Graceling by Kristen Cashore.

Here's a description (I hand typed it because I couldn't find it online, so any typo's are mine. Without further ado, the description:

His eyes. Kasta had never seen such eyes. One was silver and the other, gold. They glowed in his sun-darkened face, uneven, and strange. She was surprised that they hadn’t shown in the darkness of their first meeting. They didn’t seem human…

Then he raised his eyebrows a hair, and his mouth shifted into the hint of a smirk. He nodded at her, just barely, and it released her from her spell. Cocky, she thought. Cocky and arrogant, this one, and that was all there was to make of him. Whatever game he was playing, if he expected her to join he would be disappointed.

In a world where people born with an extreme skill --- called a grace --- are feared and exploited, Kasta carries the burden of a grace that even she despises: the grace of killing. She lives under the command of her uncle Randa, King of the Middluns, and is expected to execute his dirty work, punishing and torturing anyone who displeases him. Until one day, when she rebels.

....................................

Or Terrier (The Legend of Beka Cooper, #1) by Tamora Pierce

Sixteen-year-old Beka Cooper lives far removed from knights, palaces, and the nobility. Her world revolves around thieves, beggars, taverns, and the lowest of the low. She's a trainee for the Provost's Guard—a rookie cop, in a world where a cop makes her own name based on her personality, her attitude toward money, and her love of the law. Beka means to prove that she is out to make her mark in this hard and physical world. She does face a large obstacle. She's shy. Painfully shy. It's hard for her to talk to people she doesn't know. It's a problem for the Guards who train her, a real problem for Beka—unless she can figure out that a uniform is a kind of costume, one she can hide behind. One that will make her a more outspoken person. Luckily, she has one friend living with her in her slum apartment: a purple-eyed black cat named Pounce. He can make himself understood in human speech if he wishes to. He's capable of doing weirdly intelligent things to help his young companion Beka. With Pounce to assist her, Beka cannot have an ordinary career.

(Oh, and she has magic. The book is a fantasy murder mystery, it’s great. Anything by Tamora Pierce is great, really.)

………………………………..

Another great book is Poison Study by Maria Snyder. I couldn't find a better description, but trust me, it's good! It has some mature stuff though, just a warning. I mean seriously mature stuff, I wouldn't suggest you take it on unless you're 18, or really mature for your age, otherwise you should probably wait. (Though it has some tough stuff, it's worth the read eventually, it’s one of my favorites.)

Here is a description:

About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered a reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace, and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia. And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust, and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison. As Yelena tries to escape her dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and she develops magical powers she can't control. Her life’s at stake again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren’t so clear! A romance blossoms, a power grows, and villians plot. Will Yelena be able to save her friends, and herself?

………………………………..

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Starts a little slow but gets amazing pretty quickly:

My name is Kvothe. I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day.

You may have heard of me.

So begins the tale of Kvothe—from his childhood in a troupe of traveling players, to years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-riddled city, to his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a difficult and dangerous school of magic. In these pages you will come to know Kvothe as a notorious magician, an accomplished thief, a masterful musician, and an infamous assassin. But The Name of the Wind is so much more—for the story it tells reveals the truth behind Kvothe's legend.

…………………………………..

I hope I helped, but if you don't like the sound of any of those then try this:

http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/

http://tastekid.com/

http://goodreads.com/

http://www.gnod.net/

http://www.allconsuming.net/

Good luck finding a book, and happy reading!

• Water for Elephants

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

The Wrinkle in Time series

All three that you read are amazing!=) and I love Ronald Dahl. Now I will go back and get some of his old classics. Thanks for the reminder! Matilda is such a lovely story...I love the movie as well.

Try reading these:

-Fried Green Tomatoes At the Whistle Stop Café

-RocketBoys also known as October Sky (true story, very inspiring)

-My Sister's Keeper (so sad, though)

-The Importance of Being Earnest

-Southern Vampire Mysteries/Sookie Stackhouse Series

=)

Happy Reading!

The Roald Dahl Treasury - NEW

Roald Dahl's Scrumdidlyumptious Story Collection

Rhyme Stew - Roald Dahl

A few of these are from feminine perspectives, some could also be slightly "girly girl" to your liking however others will have to be okay. I've left each style on and which you could decide. Meryll of the Stone (Brian Caswell) Picnic at putting Rock (Joan Lindsay) Stranger with my face (Lois Duncan) enjoying Beattie Bow (Ruth Parks) My Sister Sif (Ruth Parks) Hitch hikers advisor to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams) Holes (Louis Sachar) Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit Eragorn trilogy Narnia The Golden Compass Interview with a Vampire (Anne Rice) Requiem for a Princess (Ruth M Arthur) watching for Alibrandi (Melina Marchetta) Angels Gate (Gary Crew) Sisterhood of the visiting Pants Pelican's Creek (Maureen Pople) The Diary of Anne Frank To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee) The Shiralee (Dárcy Niland) Into the Wild (John Krakauer) Chocolat (Joanne Harris) Harp within the South; bad Man's Orange; Missus (Trilogy by using Ruth Parks) where the heart is (Billie Letts) My position (Sally Morgan) Little women (Louisa could Alcott) Rebecca (Daphne De Maurier) The three Muskateers (Alexandre Dumas) something by means of the Bronte sisters or Jane Austen some thing you do don’t run The December Boys (Robert Noonan)

The Immortal Instruments Series-- 1st book: City of Bones (Movie coming out in August) :)

The Infernal Devices Series--1st book: Clockwork Angel (same author as City of Bones)

Vampire Academy Series--1st book: Vampire Academy

A Song of Ice and Fire Series--1st book: Game of Thrones

Inheritance Series--1st book: Eragon

Cujo, Salem's Lot, Carrie, The Dark Tower I,II,III: All by Stephen King (horror)

These are some REALLY GOOD books and are not sappy like Twilight. :)

I just finished reading the Game of Thrones books by George Martin, there are 5 of them and I couldn't put them down, you may like them because we seem to have similar taste in books. They are fantasy books which I don't usually read but these are exceptionally well written and have great stories. I have also really enjoyed What is the What and Zeitoun by Dave Eggars. Good luck and happy reading.

• Terry

Based on your likes:

(Heavier)

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

(Lighter)

Catching On Fire by Sue Knott

Someone Else's Fairytalek by E.M. Tippets

• Jane Eyre

1984

Animal farm

Throne of glass.

The pledge

Reckless

and Girl in the arena

Source(s): experience

GO TO THE LIBRARY.

Source(s): MAGICAL PLACE WITH MANY BOOKS.