Is the Pope selected by God?

As Pope Benedict retires and a new Pope is chosen, how proactive do you think God is in this selection?

• e w
    Favorite Answer

No, a bunch of cardinals elect a Pope. There is a lot of political campaigning and backroom deals, just like the corrupt US politicians. It's just as political as the dirtiest elections------there is no real difference.

No, he already chose his one mediator between man and himself, the man Christ Jesus.

(1 Timothy 2:5-6 - For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.)

He says that everyone are sinners, including those with the gall to call themselves God's "vicar's on earth?

Romans 3:23 - For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God

Why would God choose the next leader of the whore of Babylon?

Revelation 17:3-9 - So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns.

And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:

And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration.

And the angel said unto me, Wherefore didst thou marvel? I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carrieth her, which hath the seven heads and ten horns.

The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth.

You can't get a much clearer indication of the Roman Catholic Church than the above practices, history and location! (colourful ceremonial robes, the cup, the blood of the martyrs on her hands, set on seven hills (Rome) etc...)

Source(s): KJV

The new Pope replacing this one is the Holy Apostle James the Greater. god chose him for this position a short while ago.-Jesus Christ

Source(s): The Holy Apostle James the Greater

No. God has nothing to do with any religious prostitutes. God IS love; not has love but is LOVE,

"Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." 1 Corinthians 13: 6-7 New International Version of the Bible.

God said in Rev. 18; "Lament Over Fallen Babylon:"After this I saw another angel coming down from heaven. He had great authority,and the earth was illuminated by his splendor. 2 With a mighty voice he shouted:“‘Fallen! Fallen is Babylon the Great! She has become a dwelling for demons and a haunt for every impure spirit, A haunt for every unclean bird, for every unclean and detestable animal.3 For all the nations have drunk the maddening wine of her adulteries. The kings of the earth committed adultery with her, and the merchants of the earth grew rich from her excessive luxuries.”

Warning to Escape Babylon’s Judgment:4. Then I heard another voice from heaven say:“‘Come out of her, my people,’so that you will not share in her sins,So that you will not receive any of her plagues;5 for her sins are piled up to heaven,And God has remembered her crimes.6 Give back to her as she has given;pay her back double for what she has done.Pour her a double portion from her own cup.7 Give her as much torment and grief as the glory and luxury she gave herself. In her heart she boasts, ‘I sit enthroned as queen. I am not a widow;I will never mourn.’ She will be consumed by fire, for mighty is the Lord God who judges her."

Threefold Woe Over Babylon’s Fall: 9 “When the kings of the earth who committed adultery with her and shared her luxury see the smoke of her burning, they will weep and mourn over her. 10 Terrified at her torment, they will stand far off and cry: ‘Woe! Woe to you, great city, you mighty city of Babylon! In one hour your doom has come!’

He is selected by the College of Cardinals who are supposedly prayerfully led.....but there is so much politics going for that power grab, its not funny

They cast lots. That is to say they write "yes" on one piece of paper and "no" on another, then toss them. The one that goes the furthest wins. Goddidit.

I'm sure he's very active. The cardinals do a lot of praying before voting.

• God probably doesn't care. Lol.

Source(s): Atheist
  • Moi

no - typically by cardinals

• Cosmos

He doesn't care.