Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Those who can speak Chinese?

Is there any certain rules to understand the Chinese alphabet? I mean do I have just to memorize the symbols? Or does each character have its own sound?

For example: 爸爸 means daddy.

Do does 爸 always sound " ba " according to pinyin ? Is there any character that only represents the letter "b" ?

I hope I made my point. :)

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There is no alphabet in Chinese. Each of the thousands characters, or a combination of character, has a meaning. So there is no direct link between a Chinese character and letter in an alphabet.

So, 爸爸 (pinyin: "bàba") is made from the repetition of the character 爸 (pinyin: "bà"), which on its own means 'father' in informal Mandarin. Etymologically, this character is built from the radicals 父 ("fù"), which can also mean 'father', and the phonetic 巴 ("bā").

And each form of "a" in Pinyin ("a", "à", "á", "ā", "ǎ") have their own "tone".

So, for example, 叭 ("bā") means 'trumpet', 署 ("ba") means 'public office', while 吧 ("bā") is a grammatical particle.

For details, see : http://mandarin.about.com/od/pronunciation/a/tones...

Source(s): Wiktionary
  • 8 years ago

The Chinese writing system is called a Semanto-Phonetic writing system, which means that one symbol represents one syllable (which could be an individual word as well), so there are no symbols, that equal one consonant sound what so ever - so, yes, you have to memorize every single symbol.

• ?
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

there's no " character that only represents the letter "b" "

because

symbols that represent sounds are called ABC

but

Chinese people write meanings, not sounds

therefore

you never know how to read the symbol

unless

you are priorly told

there's no such thing as Chinese alphabet

• 8 years ago

Yes ba ba will always be the same sound.

There is no alphabet.hmm yes u need to memorize all the symbols.but I figure out that sometime u need not really need memories all word because certain words have connection like ball qiu u look at the right side n see it is also qiu please but only in different tone and u can just luckily pronounce it correct.

Source(s): Chinese and used the technique you bian du bian in my oral exam.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

There is no alphabet. However, every Chinese character has a radical that helps identify the sound.

• 8 years ago

chinese doesnt have any alphabet . but theres an easy way to memorize chinese characters. there are 214 basic radicals in chinese characters. its like the alphabet in english. its called 部首 you can see it in here http://wenku.baidu.com/view/884e05f69e314332396893...

Source(s): chinese speaker
  • ꇂꉧ
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

There are only syllables.

In Taiwan they use zhuyin fuhao, which is phonetic system based on Chinese: ㄅ - b, but it's not a part of Chinese writing system.

• ?
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

I know only the pronunciation of "I love you".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.