Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

Theism, atheism, and IQ?

The elitist high IQ club known as "Mega Society" has members who are in the "one-in-a-million" category of having an IQ of at least 170 (30 points above the standard for "genius").

Two known members are Marilyn vos Savant, who is believed to be an atheist, and Christopher Langan, a theist.

Now can people shut up about IQs and belief/non-belief in God? Sound like a bunch of children sometimes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Society#Notable_...

Other members include Keith Raniere, cultist, and John Sununu, Republican. Nuff' said.

@LaAn - How petty. Simply click on the little numbers next to the sentences and they'll send you to a reputable source.

@LaAn - Here's Mega Society's own website that says the exact same thing. Not that you'll respond to this, though. http://megasociety.org/about.html

@Elliot - I had wished I could go through this question without seeing a false accusation of a appeal to authority. Firstly, the fallacy consists of appealing to UNQUALIFIED authority or arguing deductively from authority, neither of which I did. Secondly, the only argument that is present here, if any, is that high IQ does not determine theism or atheism and a person of either camp can be especially bright. My evidence indicates this clearly and without fallacy.

Favorite Answer

It's established that there is a slight, but clear inverse correlation between theism and intelligence. But it IS slight, and really doesn't justify any presumptions about someone's intelligence, based on their religious beliefs or lack there-of. I'm well aware that theists come in both smart and stupid varieties, as do atheists. Frankly, the only reason I would ever bring up the correlation in the first place is when a theist tries to assert that you'd have to be stupid to be an atheist. As for atheists who bring this up as support for an if-theist-then-stupid syllogism, I apologize on behalf of non-believers and dissociate myself from all such arguments.

Your argument fails on the logical fallacy: appeal to authorities or popularity.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to...

The purpose of science to explain the world using natural explanations - as opposed to magic or supernatural explanations. The purpose of religion is to get more members and keep the religion alive.

Faith is, by definition, the belief in that which cannot be proved. Humans have evolved culture, which teaches us to find evidence, and make reasoned arguments to come up with proofs. Of course, many people do not believe that evidence and reason produce truth. They believe in god, the tooth fairy, or other non-real, unprovable things.

You may not have the ability to understand the natural world, evidence and logic - clearly your grasp on logic is tenuous, as we can see from your logical fallacy. But, your weakness does not make you correct by default.

• ?

this is previous; i think of an exceedingly interesting learn may be a learn of the IQ distinction between people who have been instructed to have faith issues of any nature as babies in an authoritative vogue as against babies that are taught to look for brand spanking new and greater useful solutions. i've got faith the version between those with a liberal style of training and formative years might mirror a superb earnings over those with an authoritarian upbringing. there's a diverse correlation interior the flexibility of people who're not sworn to any dogma and better psychological skills.

No, you're wrong. There's actually a cut off point for theists. If your IQ crosses the 120 threshold you're immediately enlightened and become an atheist, and that's a fact.

IQ is debunked as a serious measure of intelligence

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/12/12121...

My dad is a theist and his IQ is 160

• ?

Your are Not only are you ignoring the concept of ego but you are forgetting when it comes to geniuseses one part of their brain works very well but other parts are lacking. Ever wonder why that downs syndrome kid can beat you at chess?

If your question is whether people can shut up about IQs and belief versus non-belief in a god, my answer is that I seriously doubt it.

I think it is more telling that most of the richest countries in the world, with the highest standards of living and education, have the lowest religiosity. And, on the flip side, religiosity peaks in the Third World and underdeveloped countries.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/114211/Alabamians-Irani...

I'm pretty sure I and my meager-by-comparison 130 or 135 could get the genius Theist to boil the reason for his faith down to... faith, which by almost by definition is believing without evidence or rationality.