Should religious groups be allowed to have lobbies that push their agendas onto the American public?

Abortion creationism etc

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, of course.

Free speech should almost never be infringed.

I think this especially is true when in comes to politics.

Even humongous political action committees (PAC's), and other political lobbying groups should be allowed. I disagree, however, with the right to say absolutely anything in political speech regardless of whether it is true. As it is now, American politicians can be lied about with impunity. I think political speech should be regulated by ordinary laws against slander and libel.

I also think that political speech that is broadcast commercially and publicly should not be allowed to remain anonymous. Multimillion dollar ads should be allowed, but the funding list should be public. I think people should be allowed to spend gazillions of dollars to support politicians, but that support should not be in secret.

I think it is best if all the left-wing, right-wing, and wingless political groups speak out publicly. I just think they should be allowed to get sued when they lie. It was BS to accuse Mitt Romney of being a tax cheat with no evidence whatsoever. I recall hearing similarly baseless BS about Barack Obama, even one accusation that he physically abused Michelle. Such BS should be subject to action in a court of law for slander or libel. There need be no protected right to tell flat-out damaging lies about people or groups.

I do not think we should lose our rights to petition the government, or to speak openly and freely, based on whether we are from an organization of religiously like-minded people.

I am Roman Catholic.

Peace be with you.

• 8 years ago

Our country was founded in the spirit of secularism. Even though secularism is especially agreeable to the non-religious, this does not mean that it is necessarily supportive of irreligion over religion. Religiously dictated policy should be (well, it is) illegal. However, should be at least considered democratically, as some religiously motivated political movements can also be shared on a non-religious level as well. For example, just because all these pro-lifers are religious does not mean that being "pro-life" is a strictly religious opinion. Many pro-lifers believe in preserving fetal life for personal moral reasons as well as religious, and therefore, their opinion should be involved in the debate. Any direct religious influence should be barred from policy. It's already an unavoidable fact that the democratic system will be swayed by the religious belief of the public regardless of how strictly secular the government is. I think it would be in the very best interest of the country to be diligently secularist. Abortion is a semi-religious topic, but Creationism is a completely Christian concept and must be illegal to teach in public education as it violates the fundamental foundation of the constitution.

• NDMA
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

That is how it works in a democratic republic. At the same time any other group is allowed to challenge their agenda and push their own.. In the end it is the Legislature that decides what actually becomes law. Laws are subject to judicial review and laws that are specific to a religion may not stand under such review. At the same time laws that are not specific to any particular religion - even if they may represent the belief of many religions are not necessarily unconstitutional - Thou Shalt not Murder is in the Bible but the laws against Murder stand!

The point is there are checks and balances and the US has fared pretty good so far. For most of it's existence the US has been # 1 in most things from education, to economic growth and freedom. It is only within the last 40 years with the increase in secularism the US has been following a downward trajectory, I wonder if the two might be related?

• 8 years ago

The purpose of government should not be the blatant pushing of agendas on to the public. It should be for the advancement of the species as a whole.

Creationism and abortion being illegal do not benefit society as a whole, and should therefore not be pushed.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Would Nazi ideology be right if it was accepted by a majority of cultures?

If man has evolved from apes, what is the moral basis for deciding what is right and wrong? If cultures determine what is right, how can we claim that other cultures’ views are wrong?

as nations ignore or abandon God’s Word as absolute authority and accept evolutionary philosophies, it will adversely affect the ways their people will think and act; many social calamities have been fueled by evolutionary beliefs such as racism, abortion, and some holocausts, whose participants denied biblical authority in these matters—and therefore biblical morality—and society suffered.

• 4 years ago

As you are able to tell from the solutions and thumbs down, many human beings have faith that he's "attempting to wreck u . s . a ." via turning it right into a communist usa. it truly is not actual, yet he has attacked a number of the sacred cows of the conservatives and that they hate him for it. He has finished issues like attempting to barter with human beings somewhat of telling them to "bypass to hell we are going to do what we want." He has tried to get around a number of the capacity base of the corporate shape that truly controls u . s . a . immediately, jointly as people who hate him think of firms can do no incorrect because of the fact, inspite of each thing, it is capitalism and that's holy. people who think of he has any time table different than making u . s . a . greater useful for the well-known American are in basic terms people who hate him, the two because of the fact they think of he will value them funds or because of the fact they nonetheless can no longer stand the belief of a non-white President.

• Dan
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

No. Separation of church and state means religious doctrines cannot be made law, and the Lemon Test ensures this by determining whether or not a law is for or against a religion. All laws must be secular. Unfortunately, this isn't how America actually is, hence "one nation under god" being in the pledge of allegiance.

• Never.

• 8 years ago

of course. Why should atheists be allowed to and others not?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.