Cesilee asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 7 years ago

Smart TV vs Non Smart TV?

I'm looking at purchasing a new tv. I'm really interested in the LG 55" Class 1080p 120Hz LED TV. Not too sure whether to get the smart one or not. Could I get the non smart tv and just purchase a blu ray smart dvd player? Would I get the same features as a Smart TV? Is there any disadvantages going that route? Is it slower? Also can you actually search the web with a smart TV and or Smart DVD Player? Or is it just apps you can look at. I know its cheaper buying a non smart tv with a smart dvd to have those options but I just wanna know the differences what will I gain or lose going that route?

Favorite Answer

Congrats, I am looking forward to the day I get a new TV myself. TV's are getting big now-a-days, and I remember my 42 inch once seemed huge, and now... hmm...

You should know that LED TV's are light and huge compared to their relative cost, but I heard it is hard to watch them at angles. For instance have you ever tried to watch something at an odd angle on a computer screen? It can sometimes be difficult to see unless you are staring at it in a direct line. Plasma TV's will solve that problem. This is just an FYI.

As far as smart vs non smart? Cost is the obvious factor. You can get most or all of the same features by having a blu ray player, PS3, or something similar attached to the TV because they usually come with all those apps you need such as Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, and so forth--I can surf the internet on my PS3 too if I wanted to (I usually don't like doing so though). What I'd be more concerned about is whether to get a 3D television vs. a non 3D television, because more and more movies are coming out in 3D and if you don't get that feature you may regret it later. For instance you may not want to use the 3D, or even like 3D, or you may recognize that not many movies/blu rays use it yet, but in the future you may change your mind and it would be nice to know the technology is already built into your TV for when that happens.

Size-wise, the bigger you can afford the better and more immersive, but at the minimum pick a size that will allow you to see a good deal of detail from however far away from the screen you are. You said you are looking at 55" and that would likely be a good size.

In addition to all I just said, here is a buying guide from Amazon that covers some of the things I mentioned, but more importantly also a couple other things like obtaining the best sound, etc:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?ie=UTF8&cam...

Hope you score a good one; I can't wait until my non-smart, non-3D 42-incher dies (I only half mean that though thanks to financial constraints.)

Peace.

• corbo

Smart Tv Vs Regular Tv

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Smart TV vs Non Smart TV?

I'm looking at purchasing a new tv. I'm really interested in the LG 55" Class 1080p 120Hz LED TV. Not too sure whether to get the smart one or not. Could I get the non smart tv and just purchase a blu ray smart dvd player? Would I get the same features as a Smart TV? Is there any...

Source(s): smart tv smart tv: https://shortly.im/ZYSgv
  • Carol

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awWsC

You can get the same features as a smart TV by adding a smart dvd player to a nonsmart TV. If it is much cheaper, I think it is wise. The only disadvantage is that you may need two remote controls or to program a universal remote to two different devices. Frankly I don't give an expletive of your choice about a smart TV. It is an expensive marketing device. They appeal to the technology challenged and may be desirable for space saving If you want to avoid possible clutter of having dvd players, roku boxes or as I will describe, a computer by the TV . I prefer to have a desktop with a wireless keyboard and mouse sitting right beside an ordinary LED TV and I can get on youtube or hulu or any other site I want through familiar browsers such as IE, chrome, or firefox. Moreover you can install a blu-ray drive into that desktop, and internal BD Drives are $79.95 or less. The tech challenged will still need the skills, or someone to help them connect their smart TV or smart device to the internet, either using eithernet or built in wireless, just as one does with a computer connected to the TV. A smart TV is simply a TV with an internet enabled computer inside of it.

Most manufactures use the exact same software in their TV's and BluRay players (especially Sony and Samsug, LG to a lesser degree) so for the most part you will not miss out on anything by not buying the "Smart" TV. Some BluRays may not have the browser but don't let that sway you as all of the browsers I've seen on TV's are slow and unintuitive so you're better off just grabbing your laptop if you need to.

And remember that you don't have to buy an LG BluRay just because you bought an LG TV. Find one that has the Smart features you want and save some money on the TV.

Good Luck.

Web browsing from across the room tends to be a bad experience.

You can get more apps, better apps and better support with an ordinary HDTV, but you add a small "Media Server" box and hook it up with HDMI cables. I like the Western Digital TV Live box ($99). It gets frequent updates, plays almost all my video files, gives me 28 streaming apps, etc.

My "smart" bluray player gives me 8 apps and gets updated about once per year.

The small media servers exist for apps so they tend to be more aggressive about adding features and updates.

Roku, AppleTV, etc. are all other examples of media servers.

The apps usually include: Netflix, HuluPlus, Pandora, YouTube, CinemaNow, BlockBuster - all streaming services. Most are for subscription but some are free.

My advice is you get a MediaBridge brand HDMI cable from Amazon ($9-$20), and a WD Live box ($99). Then get the non-smart version of the LG television.

Chances are it will work better and cost less than the $300 bump for the smart model.

Hope this helps.

How do I know