Did the education-related quote from Mark Twain had anything to do with politics?

I've noticed that people tend to interpret the following quote from Mark Twain in the same way, but rarely, if ever, somebody connects it to politics: "I never let my schooling interfere with my education." Many commenters seem to come up with an explanation related to self-education and that might be... show more I've noticed that people tend to interpret the following quote from Mark Twain in the same way, but rarely, if ever, somebody connects it to politics: "I never let my schooling interfere with my education." Many commenters seem to come up with an explanation related to self-education and that might be partly true, but could it be that there is more to this quote? I mean, did he see how politics affect how the schooling system(s) works and thus how it affects him and others, too?