I feel really overwhelmed and depressed often. College courses and being on a sports team is really tough.?

Sometimes I just want to escape from it all but I can't do that because I need to succeed. I just wish I knew a way to relax and see it all as a positive experience. I like school and being on the wrestling team but its really tough managing them together. I feel really overwhelmed and lonely often.

Favorite Answer

That's too bad, because some psychologists actually recommend sports. They provide exercise and social activity. Of course, study comes first. Sometimes, students find that with careful scheduling and more efficient study methods they can do things they want. An expert recommends two schedules - the weekly kind and a list of due dates, including non school things like laundry. Don't forget to put some fun things in. Your library should have books on study. The best ones are by faculty in psych and educ dept's. A really good way to save time is making use of flash cards because you can use them during little periods like waiting for a bus. Cards are the best all around memory tool.

When things are especially bad, take things one at a time -- a day at a time, a morning at a time, or even five minutes. A favorite movie or music can help. Many people get relief by going for a walk. Within reason, some extra food will lift your spirits, whereas alcohol, which makes depression worse, should be avoided. Don't isolate yourself. Talk with somebody, even if you don't feel like it.

Stay in touch with your feelings. When you have an unpleasant mood shift, take one or two slow, deep breaths and examine the thought that just occurred to you, in terms of its truth and its relevance to what you're doing at the moment. If you find yourself in a stressful situation, take slow, deep breaths until you're calm, then think carefully about what to do. Exercise has been shown to reduce stress. The best exercise is the kind you enjoy. It may also be that people with depression who tend to remain indoors benefit from increased exposure to sunlight.

Usually, people go into depression in a downward spiral of negativity in thinking and behavior, one leading to the other. Getting out of depression is an upward spiral of healthy thinking and behavior, one leading to the other. In some cases, medication plays an important part, but healthy thought and behavior are still necessary. It doesn't happen overnight, and it helps to be patient. A sense of humor is a big plus.

The most versatile treatment of all is healthy lifestyle. If you to go the University of Kansas TLC website, you can read about the lifestyle program developed there. It's things we all need anyway. It's low cost and low risk. Book - The Depression Cure by therapist/researcher Dr Steve Ilardi.

You can read a cognitive therapy book to find out about it. For some people, it serves as a good treatment of itself. The best one seems to be The Feeling Good Handbook by Dr. David Burns, the book recommended most often for depression by professionals.

There is a free online therapy program called MoodGYM. It’s offered by a university.

I wish that there were a clear Answer--but there isn't. You're the only person who can tell how close you are to flubbing your courses! THAT would be the biggest mistake. If you are near failing a course, I'd sure urge you to drop out of the sports, no matter how fun they are. Graduate, and THEN play sports at the gym, or someplace.

Source(s): a long life