What does a TERMITE INSPECTION include . . .?

When the pest inspector goes out to do an inspection on a property, what all is included?

How is it that a termite inspection includes more that just looking for "pests"?

On a property we are considering, the "sellers" termite inspector told us that the house needs "five hundred dollars" worth of work. We have not seen the report, but I am also wondering if this could be and underestimate, as well as, what this $500 worth of work might include?

Thank you.

Any comments/answers will be welcomed.

Favorite Answer

There are many different types and qualities of inspection and what must be included is set by local law. A price for repair is usually not part of one. Do not trust this inspection paid for by the vendor. I can think of very few infestations that can be safely quoted for $500 all up. If it sounds to good to be true, it probably isn't true. If you are serious about a property, always pay for your own inspections and make sure that you and the inspector have a shared understanding of the process and possible outcomes. See link for the Australian Code of Practice that sets out industry practice.

A termite inspection includes damage done by termites, mold, and dry rot. It cost a whole lot more than $500 to tent a property to kill termites in a property. Then repair any damage done.

My guess would be that there might be some damage to facial and trim due to dry rot and minor damage done by termites. Have your home inspector also check out any areas that the pest control inspector call out.

• glenn

At least in Texas it is actually called a Wood destroying pest inspection. They check for all sorts of critters and this is the one kind of inspector that is allowed to also do the repair. That might be a conflict of interest.

I would not care what the seller's inspection says- I would arrange and pay for my own- then require the seller to do the repairs and treatments.

500 is nothing.

Termite inspectors are contractors looking for work, and many tend to be dishonest, making unfuonded claims, so you need to be careful.

Tenting and treating a small house can run $1,000 - $2,000.

Termite inspections are usually worthless. Personal experience.