How NHL entry level contracts work?

Me and my buddy were having an argument today on how and when a NHL rookie is paid. My argument was that a NHL drafted rookie is not paid until he is officially on the team. His argument was that EVERY drafted player is paid with his entry level contract before he has made the team. Could you guys clarify this for us?

Thanks,

Adam

Favorite Answer

Entry level contracts kick in when the player starts playing for an organization in non-exhibition games but this can be either on the NHL team's roster or their AHL affiliate's roster. Draftees who come in for training camp but get sent back to juniors before the roster cutoff date don't start their ELC.

In one sense, a player doesn't have to officially be on the team to start getting paid from the contract since he could be in the minors, but he does have to officially be playing for the organization at some level. I'm not sure which one of you is the winner.