What is a good free alternative to Ad Aware?

I was using Avast, then they got too heavy with the program, always popping up all over the screen, so I switched to Ad Aware, but half the time the program acts like it has hung up, just sitting there with an empty black box, which, you might guess, makes me very nervous.

What other free alternative is there? Has Avast cleaned up its act yet? Is there a third top alternative for FREE anti virus software?

Security Essentials? Except I have a political bone to pick with Bill Gate, who advocates mass genocide, so I try to avoid MS products like the plague.

• Favorite Answer

Microsoft security programs are now well maintained and work very

well.

My only other suggestion would be to use Firefox Browser with two

addons that will protect you from the latest malware that will install

by just visiting a compromised page on the internet..."driveby installs of malware".

The two addons are NoScript and Adblock Plus. Used those for

many years with complete satisfaction.

EDIT: I didn't see your added comment until after posting mine. I don't know

anything about your political statement but if you are serious about

Microsoft products then you should make a complete break and use another

OS such as the many Linux or Mac OSes.

Source(s): Experience

Honestly, I've yet to find an antivirus program that's as good as Microsoft Security Essentials. I worked for a large county school system as a computer tech, and it was so good we dropped Norton in favor of Security Essentials (actually, the enterprise version is called Forefront, but it's the exact same program). You should give it a try. It's free!

Source(s): Certified A+ tech

I am a technician and I use Avast. It is completely free and does the job just great. There are many free security software out there. Avast, AVG. Panda, Essentials, and more. Check out my website and look at the free software section.

www.deliverancestudios.com

• Erika

No, they did not discontinue issuing updates for ad-mindful SE residence model on the finish of 2007. That is just no longer authentic! I simply up to date my copy and not using a challenge. And for what it does, FREE, there's no better anti-spyware removal. I'm hoping you to find something else.