Why does gun control work in other countries but not the United States?
Countries like England, Germany, Japan and South Korea tend to have low amounts of gun crime I'm curious why doesn't it work in the United States. Please I don't want some bs response I want an actual response that makes sense not one that makes the person who answered my question sound like a backward moron.
- lareLv 77 years agoBest Answer
because for the last 6 years the republicans have blocked the appointment of the person that heads the ATF agency that is in charge of enforcing regulations. so we have no effective regulation on public ownership of guns, period.
- brainstormLv 77 years ago
The traditional culture of violence in the USA.
Civilisation is a hard thing to attain.
Even Iran has less crime than the USA.
More people are murdered each year in the USA by other Americans with guns than have ever been killed by Islamic terrorists in the whole history of the world and yet those Americans do not get a national monument like the 9/11 victims
- ArnieLv 77 years ago
Making something against the law will not always stop it.. If guns were ever against the law than only the bad guys would have them..
I also feel schools should have guards
We could use the money we give to countries that hate us,our children are more important!!
Having a gun will not help all the time but being defenseless will never help..
Can you ask the bad guy to wait while I call 911???
Isn't it better to have a gun and not need it than to need it and not have it!!
A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."
- 7 years ago
I think the mindset of the people to be civil is the difference.
The USA still has the mindset of conquerors living in a hostile land needing guns all the time to defend themselves from hostiles who are resisting the conquest and can suddenly attack any home or farm out of revenge and from unruly unsavory outlaw types who think they can grab anything they want with a gun. This is basically the history of the USA and how it came to be and grew.......and that culture has never really gone away.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- agb90spruceLv 77 years ago
- The origin of the US through revolution and the belief that the people needed to have guns to ensure a militia to protect the new country.
- A traditional belief in "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness" (vs, for example, "peace, order and good government" as in Canada
- tradition of gun availability due to the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution (incorrectly interpreted as a right to any gun, anywhere, any time)
- a belief that personal protection is necessary and equates to having a gun
- a widespread belief in self reliance (vs depending on police)
- denial of the evidence that widespread availability of guns correlates with a high incidence of gun related violent deaths
- high rate of drug related violence due to stupid drug laws and belief that if criminals have guns civilians need them too.
- Culture of violence (movies, TV shows, games, ...)
- the list goes on ...
- Uncle PennybagsLv 77 years ago
Why are you just focusing on "gun crime?"
Sure, if the USA had 200,000 guns instead of 200 million guns, there would be less gun crime. Just like if we banned baseball bats, we'd have less crime involving baseball bats. But would the overall violent crime rate change?
Turns out, violent crime is a different story. Turns out the UK has much more violent crime than the USA, and many other gun banning European countries have more violent crime too. See the link. And I for one contend this is because violent criminals do not fear that their victims are armed.
- Ben ScottLv 67 years ago
they dont try it - to get the control over guns in a country like the US is a long way, and takes some years.
you also need adequate punishments for ignoring the registration, and I dont see that actually thanks to the NRA and some "churches"
- robert43041Lv 77 years ago
Because of your 2nd amendment to your US constitution. Plus the sort of ingrained Wild Wild West shoot them up sort of mentality.
- 7 years ago
Where the hell are you getting your statistics from? The same place Mitt Romney does?