Can I power a portable stereo with a drill battery?

Ok so I have a small portable radio that runs on 9V AC (wall plug) or 9V DC (6 x 1.5V C-Cells) I also have a 9V DC power adapter (from an old Nintendo system I think) and lastly I have several 18V rechargable drill batteries. Could I power the radio by wiring the 18V battery to the 9V adapter and the adapter to the radio (where the c-cells go). I guess it comes down to does the 9V adapter work with anything other than 120V AC? I understand that the adapter changes the current from AC to DC, but if the input is already DC would it not just act as a reducer changing voltage from 18 to 9? Thanks

Favorite Answer

Not how you propose. The power adapter you have needs 120V AC.It has a transformer which changes the 120V to 9V, and that requires AC.

You need a DC to DC voltage converter, 12 to 24V in, 9V 500mA out, or a linear voltage regulator.

Or just get the right batteries for your radio, or a 7.2 to 9.6V rechargeable pack and charger.

• Ron G

No. Do not try this. Attaching a drill battery to the ac input will act as a short across the battery terminals and can cause the battery cells to explode or overheat resulting in fire. The input of the AC adapter is the winding of a transformer. An impedance to AC current but a low resistance to DC.

Source(s): 35 years as electronic engineer.

An 18 volt drill/driver should be capable to vigor by way of a series of wall studs. Of direction, the situation of the bit is a element, as good as whether the drill is in ahead or reverse, hehehe (you'd be surprised what number of humans attempt to drill in reverse, and beauty why the drill won't go in, hehehe). Continuously hold your drill bits sharp, and rust free. On a aspect note -- Some wall studs will have a steel plate over the notch for wiring runs - its now not imagined to be easy to drill through these plates as they're there to preserve the wires. So if you are having trouble drilling into a stud, try relocating up or down a couple of inches and check out again - if its much simpler, there's a plate in there, and you need to avert drilling into it. Most drill/drivers have at least 2 speeds at the present time.... You'll get extra torque on the decrease velocity surroundings. At all times drill via metallic at a scale down velocity, to preclude overheating the drill bit. Have fun

The adapter changes 120 volts ac to 9 volts ac. Then there is another part that changes ac to dc. If you apply dc to the adapter, nothing happens. It only works on ac.

Only buy Energizer E2Lithium batteries. They are twice the price and seven times the power of alkaline, and if you don't use them right away the shelf life is 15 years. The only reason to buy cheap batteries is you are going camping with kids. You need one flashlight per kid and one set of batteries per kid per night. So you get the cheapest batteries you can find, since you are going to throw them away every morning anyway.

nope

Doesn't work that way.

- engineer