Help with math SAT portion! what to study?

I'm taking the SAT a few weeks from now and i'm great at the reading and writing parts (based on my PSAT scores) but suck at the math part. what exactly do i need to study for the math? how do i study? what math is it? i'm taking these practice math SAT questions and here are a few i'm struggling t solve. please help, a detailed elaboration would be very helpful, thanks in advance.

3. What is the average (arithmetic mean) of all the multiples of ten from 10 to 190 inclusive?

A. 90

B. 95

C. 100

D. 105

E. 110

4. A cubical block of metal weighs 6 pounds. How much will another cube of the same metal weigh if its sides are twice as long?

A. 48

B. 32

C. 24

D. 18

E. 12 (i think it's E, but i feel like that would be too easy....)

SAT problem solving practice test 01

1. Of the following, which is greater than ½ ?

A. 2/5

B. 4/7

C. 4/9

D. 5/11

E. 6/13

2. If an object travels at five feet per second, how many feet does it travel in one hour?

A. 30

B. 300

C. 720

D. 1800

E. 18000

3. What is the average (arithmetic mean) of all the multiples of ten from 10 to 190 inclusive?

A. 90

B. 95

C. 100

D. 105

E. 110

4. A cubical block of metal weighs 6 pounds. How much will another cube of the same metal weigh if its sides are twice as long?

A. 48

B. 32

C. 24

D. 18

E. 12

5. In a class of 78 students 41 are taking French, 22 are taking German. Of the students taking French or German, 9 are taking both courses. How many students are not enrolled in either course?

A. 6

B. 15

C. 24

D. 33

E. 54

6. If f(x) = │(x² – 50)│, what is the value of f(-5) ?

A. 75

B. 25

C. 0

D. -25

E. -75

7. ( √2 - √3 )² =

A. 5 - 2√6

B. 5 - √6

C. 1 - 2√6

D. 1 - √2

E. 1

9. Amy has to visit towns B and C in any order. The roads connecting these towns with her home are shown on the diagram. How many different routes can she take starting from A and returning to A, going through both B and C (but not more than once through each) and not travelling any road twice on the same trip? (the picture is not pasting but it's a circle with 2 curved lines on it making a 'v' shaped, kinda like a simple painting a bird in the the distance, you know... a curved 'V." the bottom point on the V is C, the leftmost side is A and the rightmost side is B.)

A. 10

B. 8

C. 6

D. 4

E. 2

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No offense, but these are pretty simple questions - if you can't answer at least half of them on your own, there is no way that you will be able to get passing grades in University math which is required in your first semester.

3. HINT: mean means mid-point/average, so what is the mid-point between 10 and 190?

4. You are correct - the cube weighs 12 lbs

1. Of the following, which is greater than 1/2? HINT: If the bottom number is more than double the top number, it is less than 1/2. If the bottom number is less than double than the top, then it is greater than 1/2 (I learned this in grade 1 when we did that how to share a pie exercise)

2. Multiply the seconds: 5, by the number of seconds in a minute, and then multiply the answer by the number of minutes in an hour

3. You asked this already

4. You asked this already

5. Add 41 and 22 and subtract the total from 78. They only put in the part about the 9 students taking both languages to try to fool you.

6. If you can't answer the other questions, this is way to hard for you because it's actually high school math.

7 If you can't answer the other questions, this is way to hard for you because it's actually high school math.

9. Would need to see the picture, but it's only two roads that you would take for each way (the way you describe it).

• 8 years ago

I didn't read all of them but the previous answer is incorrect. 4 is A - 48.

If a cube block weighs 6, then it has a volume of 6. this means its sides are (cubed root of)6.

On the new cube, if the sides are doubled, then the new volume becomes (2(cubed root of)6)^3 = 48.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.