Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

timoti asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 8 years ago

How to do Identity Theft Protection?

Is are any way to do it with out any money?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If you become a victim of identity theft there is going to be a lot of hassle and even money involved. As a result, we recommend credit monitoring as the best way to get identity theft protection.

At the same time, the risk of becoming an identity theft victim is fairly low (below 5%), and thus, if you do not want to spend the money for a credit monitoring service, here are a few tips from the FTC that you can do yourself, for free:

Protect your Social Security Number (SSN)

Don't carry your Social Security card in your wallet, and ask to substitute another number for your driver's license number (if your state generally uses your SSN as a default driver's license number). Substitute another number for your SSN as you health insurance policy number.

Treat your mail and paper garbage carefully:

Shred personally identifying documents if you no longer need them. According to the Good Housekeeping magazine, 40% of all identity thieves get personal information from people's mail and other papers.

Mail your personally identifying mail in post office collection boxes or take it to the post office.

Stop your mail if you're going to be on vacation or away from your mailbox for an extended period of time.

Password-protect your credit card, bank, and phone accounts with generic strings of numbers and letters, rather than using your birth date, mother's maiden name, and the last four numbers of your Social Security Number.

Verify a source before sharing your personal information:

Don't give out personal information on the phone or through the mail or Internet unless you are CERTAIN you know who you're dealing with.

Safeguard your purse and wallet, and if you store information at home or work, keep it in a secure, preferably locked, place.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

no -- but it is just like any other insurance -- you don't want to but it until you need it -- if you can afford it -- could be the best investment u ever made -- some i would not call a scam but maybe close to being shady business practice --- i only had one credit card discover -- works great in the states so i apply for a chase visa card since i am going to France and needed a MasterCard -- receive the card in two weeks credit limit of 25K --so far so good -- used it once to insure everything was OK and paid off balance when received my bill -- yesterday i get this letter from chase with a advertisement and a check -- now the check looks really great nothing unusual till you read the very find print at the top of the check "sign and cash this check to purchase the chase payment protector plan" not a scan and would be a legal contract if i use the check -- than you read the contract and if i would use my chase card like i use my discover it would cost about 23.00 a month for the protection!!!.

• 8 years ago

I don't think that once a year is enough.. If you have Comcast, you can sign up for the "Essentials" package with Identity Guard. They usually charge for this service but Comcast gives it away in their bundling of the Xfinity Packages.

I got the free addon a couple years ago and didn't think any more about it, until the "credit monitoring" part of the service caught someone that opened an account in my name!!! I would even pay if I didn't get it for free.

Source(s): Comcast's page about Identity Guard for Free! - http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/inter... Identity Guard site for you to explore: http://www.identityguard.com/
  • CatDad
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

For most people, checking their credit reports once a year is sufficient. Credit reports are free at: http://www.annualcreditreport.com/

Be sure to protect your SS# and only give it out when absolutely necessary. There is no reason to pay for ID theft protection unless you feel like you are at extra high risk: like your wallet with your SS card was recently stolen...or you have relatives who have opened up lines of credit under your name.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

If you want to put your name on fraud alert, call Trans Union Fraud Dept toll free @ 1-800-680-7289. They'll notify the other 2 bureaus and must be renewed every 90 days in order to keep it active. Once this is set up and someone tries to open an account with your info, they must notify you first before it can be processed.

Source(s): Retired bill collector 35 year
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.