fans of classical music, what is your opinion of kate bush?

im asking this specifically of people who like classical music as classical music is very complex and well crafted and usually people who have the ability to enjoy this kind of music know a lot about technique and the craft of music. what is your opinion of kate bush?? would you rate her highly, does she compare with ay of the great composers? is she a musical genius? also, are there any artists in rock, blues, jazz etc. who compare with the great composers?

all respectful and informative answers will be much appreciated. go nuts when answering, i want the answers to be as long and descriptive as possible.

Favorite Answer

I think rather more highly of Kate Bush than i.jones seems to. When she was discovered by Pink Floyd's David Gilmour in 1975, there was no other progressive female singer-songwriter quite like Kate Bush. Her songs are skillfully and carefully crafted (one reason why she has not been particularly prolific - especially in more recent years) and writes intelligent, thoughtful and sometimes provocative lyrics. She soon won the respect and admiration of many of her rock and pop peers and her example has influenced many young female singer-songwriters since (alas, not so much in the last few years!).

It is very difficult to directly compare composers across different genres; the music serves different purposes and achieves varying degrees of complexity. However, there are composers in other genres whose art, although perhaps not immediately comparable to the great classical composers, have contributed truly great, chalenging and groundbreaking music in their genre. Some examples from my 'umble opinion:

Rock:

Kate Bush

Peter Gabriel

Jonny Greenwood (Radiohead)

Roy Harper

Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)

Pop:

Björn Ulvaeus/Benny Andersson (ABBA)

John Lennon

Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Jazz:

Carla Bley

Dave Brubeck

Duke Ellington

Esbjörn Svensson

Keith Tippett

Mike Westbrook

I enjoy some of Kate Bush's musical offerings, but to try to equate her music with classical composers' masterworks is ridiculous.

Bush's music has none of the complexity of symphonic works, there is no comparison for her vocals with any operatic singer and her melodies are not nearly as melodious or intricate as you make them out to be. Granted, I have not listened to her 2011 album at all, I understand it is more piano centric.

Asking about "rock, blues, jazz" etc artists in comparison to composers is futile as well. There were and perhaps still are a good many song craftsmen. Composers like Billy Strayhorn, Duke Ellington, Glenn Miller, etc. Looking forward several decades, ensembles like Chicago, Toto, Earth Wind and Fire, and Steely Dan made fantastic arrangements using actual musicians and not relying on technology to get the job done.

... I'd place Ms. Bush with other contemporary singer/songwriter/technicians. She's good, but she's not "all that".

I think she's okay. I haven't listened to a lot of her recordings. The first time I ever heard her was on an old Saturday Night Live show where she was the musical guest and she just struck me as completely odd. I can't say I enjoy her voice, but I'm neither a big fan (obviously) or critic. She does has talent both as a singer and songwriter, but I wouldn't compare her to any classical composers. I don't think she would compare herself to a classical composer either.

I had a couple of friends recommend Kate Bush songs to me to kind of challenge me out of my comfort zone. I bought some sheet music of about three of her songs, but I haven't really done much with them. I like "Bertie", which is a lovely and simple song for a child (I collect lullabies for some reason).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdTJmNGc6h4

Youtube thumbnail

Another Kate Bush song that seems very popular with the "crossover singers" is "Wuthering Heights", but I never really could get into that one, but I understand why it might be fun for a person with a light soprano voice to give it a whirl. Below are clips for Kate Bush, and a cover by Hayley Westenra (who basically makes no qualms about being more pop).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW3gKKiTvjs

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkTF5DRBxpI

Youtube thumbnail

I used to have a male friend who did a stunning rendition of This Woman's Work" which I believe was based on a cover by some R&B singer named Maxwell.

I don't think it's a good idea to try to compare singers or songwriters across genres since they really ought to be based on their own set of criteria. Plus good or bad can be highly subjective.

Plus you can acknowledge an artist's skill and talent, but not necessarily want ot listen to any of their music. There are certain classical composers I don't care for. I listen to pop and rock--some amazingly fluffy--but I don't care that much for Pink Floyd. I can certainly understand why so many really admire them--but it's a matter of personal preference in the end and how music strikes you emotionally. Or at least that's my response to music. I don't really approach any music very intellectually at all (unless you count just proper interpretation of the lyrics if I sing).

Here are some of my faves: Miserere by Gregorio Allegri Missa Papae Marcelli by Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina The Lark Ascending by Ralph Vaughan-Williams music of Marin Marais, Nicola Matteis, Silvius Leopold Weiss, Händel, Purcell, John Dowland, Karl Jenkins, Ludovico Einaudi...

• Liz

I am a classical music fan and I have absolutely no idea who Kate Bush is. However I expect that people who do know who Kate Bush is have also heard of Mozart. I would suspect that in 200 years time no one will remember Kate Bush.