Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 8 years ago

How do you control ammonia levels with gold fish? I have 40 goldfish in a 55 gallon tank,?

I have a 55 gallon fish tank with about 40 goldfish i have a 3 stage filter system marineland emperor 400 a 90 filter system. how do i control the ammonia levels and keep the water clear

Favorite Answer

1. frequent water changes with a siphon to control overall waste, perhaps twice a week 50% or so (be careful to match temperature)

2. but the filters should be able to handle the ammonia for the most part.

3. bare bottom/no gravel so you don't have filth building up

note: I don't know what a 90 filter is, but if you maintain the filters properly and use the most biologic filter materials possible in the baskets etc. then it should be ok, but changing water is the only way to make up for the lack of water volume...

note: I've kept up to 250 small goldfish in approx 50-70 gallons, but with constant water changing and a larger filter.

• immatt

Daily 90% water changes.

How long are you keeping them in the tank for? I assume this is for a temporary housing for feeder fish for a turtle or predator tank?

Frequent water changes paired with gravel siphoning. 10% once a week or 25% every two weeks. Also, only feed maybe 3 or 4 a week. Less food means less poop which means lessbammonia.

you could start by removing 40 of the fish.

Please say your trolling.