If videogames are responsible for school shootings what was responsible for school shooting before videogames?

The list below is made up of all the school shootings I could find that take place on school grounds prior to the public release of video games in 1972.

I also want to note the list below only accounts for all school shootings where a gun was used to intentionally kill students on school or college grounds and doesn't account for shootings on school transport, field trips, teacher killing teacher, student killing teacher, or shootings that started on school property and ended elsewhere that did not result with a death on school property. Also to note the the list below is incomplete and does not account for all school shootings that resulted in a students death it is only the accounts I can find in one less the 15 minutes.

1. July 26, 1764 Franklin County, Pennsylvania AKA Enoch Brown school massacre, 7 dead

2.April 24, 1890 Brazil, Indiana, 1 dead

3.March 26, 1893 Plain Dealing, Louisiana 2 dead

4.December 13, 1898: Charles Town, West Virginia 5 dead

5.February 24, 1903 Inman, South Carolina 1 dead

6.July 21, 1903 Jackson, Kentucky 2 dead

7.April 6, 1904: Chicago, Illinois 1 dead

8.November 16, 1904 Riverside, California 1 dead

9.May 18, 1906: Boston, Massachusetts 2 dead (Murder suicide)

10.April 15, 1908: Asheville, North Carolina 2 dead 9Murder suicide)

11.December 23, 1908: New York , New York at NYU 1 dead

12.February 12, 1909: San Francisco, California 1 dead

13.January 12, 1910: Harlem , New York 1 dead

14.August 16, 1910 Lexington, Kentucky 1 dead

15.January 31, 1912: San Francisco, California 1 dead

16.February 15, 1933: Downey, California 2 dead

17.July 4, 1940: Valhalla, New York: 1 dead

18.June 26, 1946: Brooklyn, New York 1 dead

19.November 13, 1949: Columbus, Ohio OSU 1 dead

20.November 27, 1951: New York City, New York 1 dead

21.May 15, 1954: Chapel Hill, North Carolina UNC 1 dead

22.January 11, 1955: Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, Swarthmore College 2 dead

23.May 1, 1958: Massapequa, New York 1 dead

24.September 24, 1959: Bronx, New York 1 dead

25.March 30, 1960 Alice, Texas 1 dead

26.October 17, 1961: Denver, Colorado 1 dead

27.August 1, 1966: Austin Texas 16 dead AKA University of Texas massacre

28.November 12, 1966: Mesa, Arizona 5 dead Rose-Mar College of Beauty

29.January 24, 1968: High Point, North Carolina 1 dead

30.January 30, 1968: Miami, Florida 1 dead

31.January 17, 1969: Los Angeles, California 2 dead

I am wondering why the NRA and other pro-gun advocates try to place the blame on videogames for school shootings when THERE IS NO CONCLUSIVE SCIENTIFIC STUDIES that show that violent videogames increase violent behavior in both children or adults, and when it is not hard to make an incomplete list like mine that's shown above that only displays school shootings just as common place before video games then after videogames.

So I am wondering why does the NRA and other pro-gun advocates scapegoat videogames when there is no scientific, or historical evidence that proves video games are related to school shootings?

• Greg
    Favorite Answer

Blaming video games is silly.

There is ZERO evidence that it causes violence.

There are NUMEROUS countries where the EXACT SAME video games are just as frequently purchased..... that do not have frequent school shootings.

This is just a ploy by the NRA to leave the 2nd Amendment alone ENTIRELY.... and restrict the 1st Amendment even further instead. This is an utterly useless gesture to make it seem the NRA is supporting changing SOMETHING when the circumstances change instead of their current position (that position being.....even though circumstances have changed... nothing else should.)

• drhead

They're just desperate to have people not touch their firearms.

Peppers: Please look up terms that you don't know the meaning of. When you don't, you look like an idiot.

Goz2Fast: Perhaps it is the fact that we have greater availability of firearms that are capable of killing more people in a shorter amount of time? That is a factor you didn't consider. As for your points:

1. Larger population - higher number of mentally ill people in society

This is a valid point.

2. Violence in media does play a role I am sure.

All studies I have seen have shown that violence in media really has little influence. People influenced by it have problems of their own.

3. Fewer people believe in God, or that they answer to anyone but themself for their actions (moral decay).

Enough with this objective morality crap. People who have mental health problems either don't care or justify their actions.

4. More guns available in the general population.

This is also valid.

5. It has also been discovered that most of the shootings were done by democrats, or kids raised by democrat parents...hmmm wonder what the correlation there would be?

Would you mind showing me the data?

6. Gun Free zones which are a great place to get away with it.

Putting a single school resource officer in each school would solve this. However, that likely won't happen since the NRA phrased it badly. If, instead of "the only way you can stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good guy with a gun", they said "We think it would be beneficial to the public to, as part of an effort to prevent tragedies like this from occuring in the future, have at least one armed police officer on school campuses during school hours.", then they would have won support from both sides.

"So I am wondering why does the NRA and other pro-gun advocates scapegoat videogames when there is no scientific, or historical evidence that proves video games are related to school shootings?"

Because blaming current problems on some newfangled trend is, to a certain extent, human. It's the same reason people have been complaining about how kids today have no manners for millenia, why rock-and-roll was seen as dangerous, etc. Do you remember when school shootings were caused by listening to Marilyn Manson music?

I don't blame the video games it is 100% bad parenting. I remember visiting my Grandfather who kept his shotgun in his bed room closet unlocked and with the ammo next to it. And believe me I did not go near that closet let alone go in there and mess with that gun. Why? Because I was afraid of the consequences from my father and grandfather. The gun was right there in easy reach but they taught me to respect firearms and other peoples property.

Mom And Dad are not doing this today. However I am and always will be a staunch supported of the 2nd amendment no matter how many butt sniffing liberals come out of the woodwork.

As a republican I am against that for simple reasons. Look at the teachers sleeping with 14, 15 year old kids. Look at how many kids are in alternative school for hitting a teacher or beating the s*it out of other students. I don't think that they schools (some students, some teachers) should be walking around armed.

Your lists shows 1-7 dead in most instances...since video games the death toll is 13-20 at a time being killed.

You can't pin our current problems on one thing...there are a multitude of reasons this could be happening more frequently..

It has also been discovered that most of the shootings were done by democrats, or kids raised by democrat parents...hmmm wonder what the correlation there would be?

5. Gun Free zones which are a great place to get away with it.

HA! If games were responsible, then alot more boys would be going out murdering Hookers.

• Pepper

What do you mean when you ay the NRA is scape goating. Are you implying that the NRA is responsible for these tragedies? That is just silly