Why dont we attack North Korea?

Okay to start off I am not this little kid thinking that war is cool and all that. For me, war is terrible and it would be the last thing I would do if everything fails.

North Korea has either threatened to attack the US and Korea the past years and for instance also attacked S. Korea a couple of times. I have also lived in S. Korea for 5 years and I am a half Korean. All we have done is just sit back and technically do nothing except for strengthening our military at some points.

I know the last president of Korea, Lee Myung-Bak was a very bad president, but hopefully the next president will be much better and react a lot better to attacks and threats from N. Korea.

There are tons of people starving in N. Korea, people in concentration camps/labor camps and some people even getting tortured and executed. They use almost all their money on their military and all the food S. Korea sends to N. Korea to help the poor goes to the people that are in the military.

Basically, they dont care sh*t for civilians. The only thing they care about is spreading propaganda to their own people, military, showing off that they are "Dominant" in this world and be a little devil and irritate S. Korea and cause panic against other countries.

So, my question is "Why not invade N. Korea?". I know this might be a silly question as people have estimated that they have 8-16 nukes, possibly more by 2015 and that Seoul will probably go to hell within 30-60 minutes. Keep in mind that these nukes can reach some cities in the US such as San Francisco.

My thought is that Offence is the best Defense. We can't just sit back and wait for them to attack us or mistreat their people. I think it would be much safer to attack them, try to save as much civilians as possible and reunite N and S Korea.

I see no other way than to this, unless they attack us (which probably means that Seoul and other cities in both S. Korea and Japan get some serious damage) or that the next leader will be a kind person that will reunite N and S Korea and do all the right things (which is in my mind, impossible).

Thank you for reading my question thoroughly! Please answer as much as you can. I don't care if its long, I will read it anyways! :) I don't intend to encourage anyone to start a war, but I am asking why we are not starting a war.

Please, forget China! They wont be helping N Korea. In fact they are tired of spoon feeding N Korea and will most likely be neutral under the war or help US. If they join N Korea and bomb US, how will they get their loan back then? Think before you answer...

Favorite Answer

First, as bad as the Il regime has been, it is more the mouse that roared. I was unable to find any hard figures for how large their army is, but I doubt that it is anywhere near the US's. It is highly unlikely that they would be able to get a bomb to the US, since we would probably shoot it down and they would immediately be bombarded by 10 or 20 nukes we CAN deliver.

However, it COULD easily deliver 8 or 10 of them to you in South Korea and Japan before we could stop them. It's too short a pathway for us to shoot them down, although we would try.

But none of this is really relevant to your question. The main reason we do not attack North Korea is because China is their protector, and they would feel compelled to strike back. That would simply mean another world war, which none of us would survive. We keep an uncomfortable stalemate in the region, which is the best we can do at this time.

Edit: I believe you are wrong about China, at least to a certain extent. They have refused to do anything about North Korea obtaining nuclear weapons and the main reason they help keep the government there in power is because they don't want all the refugees that would suddenly cross the border if the House of Il fell. They are also angry at Japan because of that little group of islands whose ownership has been disputed since WWII. So they wouldn't really mind if North Korea nuked Japan, although they might not nuke them themselves. The main thing they would do, though, is counterbalance the US forces, because we wouldn't want them to shoot back because we did first. You cannot just say "forget China" when it is the single biggest influence that exists in the North Pacific.

I dont even feel like reading this entire stupid question , I am an american in s. korea , there is no war but no peace treaty come to korea and visit the dmz a total war zone and you can see real n korean soldigers they will scare u no matter how tough you think u are .

america is protecting s korea from n. in a way , but n korea has china on its side one incident and it's instant world war 3 I dont even watch he new and i know this

are you retarded you ant to attack n korea ? they are ****** up and want to own the world

Source(s): live in korea , have many friend in american AND korean army here

NK is China's puppet and China wont let us attack it.

Chinese loans finance most of the US budget deficit, so we must bow to them:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/1263762.stm :

'But 11 days into the stand-off [over a US fighter plane], the US said in a letter to China it was "very sorry" for the loss of a Chinese fighter pilot in a collision with a US spy plane.'

• John

Who will handle China attacking us?

• Greg

Two words: Korean War.

Been there and done that.... not doing it again.