Why are businesses willing to lose business for the sake of "policy"?

I always believed policies set guidelines and boundries for companies, but they shouldn't be an end all and should be changed on a case by case. I was trying to spend $40 on flowers delivered. I can do that through a middle man like 1-800-flowers, but I like to cut out the middle man and deal directly with... show more I always believed policies set guidelines and boundries for companies, but they shouldn't be an end all and should be changed on a case by case.

I was trying to spend $40 on flowers delivered. I can do that through a middle man like 1-800-flowers, but I like to cut out the middle man and deal directly with the flower shops. I just called 3 flower shops near where I need the flowers delivered--most within 1.5 miles of the house. They all had $45 minimums with $10 delivery charge. Their policy was not to budge on this.

What I don't' understand is where I live flowershops will do this. I live in Southern California. The delivery was just ouside of New York City in New Jersy.

Flower shops here will take a $20 order and deliver it for $5 for example. For the sake of business, wouldn't you bend policy to make $40--especially if the house is only 5 minutes from the shop.

They would rather lose money...and I've offered them a way to make a little money, be profitable, and make a customer happy. Don't happy customers bring more business. I'm not asking them to lose money.