Why does my computer clock keep changing on this windows 8 computer after I keep setting it correctly?

My mom just got this new windows 8 hp computer about a month ago, and I set it up for her and everything, took a little bit to get used to windows 8, but it still has the same programs as windows 7, anyways, for the past few weekends I've been staying at her house to watch her dog while she is working, and I notice that each time I get on the computer, the dang clock in the task bar keeps changing after I had changed it in the past. It will say it for awhile, but I guess when the computer restarts or boots on than it changes. It's like 2 hours behind. I lock the time in when I change it, but it keeps changing. How do I keep the time on here?

Favorite Answer

I don't have an answer to the question yet. I just wanted to say the IT IS NOT THE BATTERY. Every time I read a response to this question, the first thing people jump to is it has to be the battery. I've replaced my battery twice and it hasn't helped. The Lithium-Ion batteries on the motherboards last for around 10 years. The chances that I got 3 bad batteries in a row are astronomical. It has to be a problem with windows 8. I can reinstall Windows 7 and the problem goes away. I reset the bios on the motherboard to the default setting, still no help. I ran the computer overclocked and normally, and still the problem is there. I'm just wondering why, if so many people are having this problem, why isn't Microsoft doing something about it? And, if they are working on it, a little acknowledgement would be nice. It's not a major problem, just a heck of an annoyance.

By the way, what motherboards are people running? I have a Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3.

• Duke6 years agoReport

James have you got any more info on this?
      Because i have the same problem on my new laptop, so its not a battery (and the settings are fine). It started after the last Windows update - 8 to 8.1, so is it likely to be something to do with that?
      TIA.

Either the CMOS battery is dead or the BIOS settings have the wrong time. If its a desktop then its plugged in all the time and even if the battery was dead the settings would stay so its the wrong time on the BIOS settings plus its new so the battery would last for a few years

Its sycronised with the clock setting in the BIOS so you need to go into the BIOS and put the clock forward 2 hours. The battery maybe running low.

Make sure you have your time zone set correctly. Most versions of Windows periodically synchronize the time with time servers on the Internet if they have anInternet connection, and if you don't have your time zone set correctly, the time may change abruptly when it is synchronized by the system.

Cleaning the register is a good way of improving the performances of your pc and eliminate malwares and trojans. A program I trust is CCleaner http://bit.ly/UrAoxn

It's surely the leader program of its type

CCleaner is basically a dedicated cleaner which cleans the unwanted files in your computer...for eg. when you download or open any file or site, at many places it is registered in your computer that is not needed by the computer to work.....its a wonderful software that frees unwanted space...

Norton is basically a dedicated anti-virus.....

I sugess to still install CCleaner

You can find a free download of ccleaner here http://bit.ly/1sJimp9

the motherboard might need to have its battery replaced.. unusual for a new computer as the battery should last a few years but worth a shot. you could also try a bios update if theres one available.

I've had to set mine to a differant country ie. + 1 hour. No big deal. just annoying

Could be a dead CMOS battery. Could also be automatically syncing to an online time server. Check the PC's timezone.

You might check the internet time in the date and time settings. I have noticed that the default to windows.com times out. setting it to time.nist.gov seems to be working.

• Tim6 years agoReport

Agreed. The widows default time server gets jacked up. I changed to time.nist.gov - problem solved