promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Liberals, what exactly is an "assault weapon"?

Can you explain what an "assault weapon" actually is?

(And don't say military grade because those are not sold to the general public)

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

An assault weapon is one that can be used on either semi or automatic fire. (Or can give a 3 round burst) And despite what you see on TV or the movies, its not easy to convert a semi-automatic to fire in automatic. A weapon so tampered with tends to jam.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • imaxkr
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

Maryjane, after reading numerous responses to your query it appear the consensus is that an "assault weapon" is a semi-automatic weapon. Therefore an "assault weapon" ban would meaning banning over 90% of firearms in the country.

It is clear from the responses you received that most have no clue what "semi-automatic means or that fully auto weapons are already illegal except for holders of class A federal firearms license (which are extremely expensive and difficult to obtain).

Also many addressed "high capacity" magazines. Well anyone with a little experience with firearms can change a magazine in a second or two so any argument for reducing capacities is a clear indicator that the individual either doesn't have a clue or is trying to manipulate others who are uninformed.

• 7 years ago

Any fully or semi automatic weapon. I know what an assault weapon is and what it can do. I carried one in Vietnam. The ONLY use for these weapons are to fight a war. I hope I never see the day that the US looks like a war zone with everyone carrying assault weapons.

• David
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Nitpicking is the sign of a weak argument. I don't care what you call it; if it can be converted to a full auto weapon it is close enough to military grade for this debate.

I am a responsible gun owner, with two handguns, a shotgun and two rifles, all purchased legally. The NRA certainly does not speak for me when it opposes mandatory background checks and a ban on convertible weapons.

Listen, Maryjane, we are already armed to the teeth! Do we really need rocket launchers or fully functioning automatic weapons? How many shots do we need before the deer goes down?

You need to think. You are not stupid, amd you can see that this is the extreme dictating to your entire movement that they must support the gun manufacturers regardless of the facts. Stand up to them!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

All weapons are made for aggression. Assault should precede all weapons. The more killing power the better the gun industry rates it. Bushmaster was used in Newton. That is one example of an assault weapon.

• Riley
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Anything that can physically harm another person, can be legally classified by law in any criminal court as being an,"assault weapon", not just guns. Your fist's, feet, sports bats, plank of wood, belt, broom, rake, electric cord, knife, etc can be classified as an "assault weapon".

Even any verbal or written vilification threatens affray or bullying, can be legally classified as "assault weapon" to harm someone. It can be used in any court to get a personal violence order placed against someone.

• 7 years ago

Any automatic weapon, a machine gun or something that can shoot twenty small children eleven times each. I mean how much worse can it get than that.

We need to start acting like responsible adults and protect the children and stop acting like spoiled children demanding toys.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

They're scary and have dark colored composite stocks and forearms instead of pretty wooden ones .

They have a scary stock that can fold ( makes me shake just thinking about it ).

They shoot a bullet every time you pull the trigger , no pouring powder , wadding and a bullet in the barrel each shot like non assault guns .

And to top things off you can attach things to them like a strap , a flashlight or a knife .

Those things are just plain dangerous . If someone wants a gun they should get something safe like a 12ga. pump , uncorked with magnum sluggers .

• Sarah
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

The republican poster "Rocky" just claimed that it was wrong for the government to confiscate the anti aircraft weapons of a gun owner in New Mexico, who was housing his anti aircraft weapons in a bunker along with 1,500 other unregistered guns. The state of Connecticut allows it's citizens the right to own a semi-auto with a grenade launcher. The state of Missouri allows it's citizens to bring guns into bars and to shoot people....while drunk.....if the drunk gun owner "feels threatened".

Rational people can agree that not ALL guns should be accessible to the general public.

Rational people can agree that some gun laws defy common sense.

• A semi automatic weapon like the one used to kill school children in Newtown. Instead of playing word games, cons need to stop putting the profits of the greedy NRA in front of public safety. The majority of Americans want it done.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.