BOOKS : Recommendations?

I love reading. I'm currently reading Eldest, the second book to the Inheritance Cycle. My favorite books are The Hunger Games, Eragon, Small Steps, Ways To Live Forever, Between, and Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children.

I'll read anything as long as it doesn't take half of the book to get interesting.

So, any recommendations? Just a short description of the book will also do. :)

Favorite Answer

You could try Graceling by Kristen Cashore.

His eyes. Kasta had never seen such eyes. One was silver and the other, gold. They glowed in his sun-darkened face, uneven, and strange. She was surprised that they hadn’t shown in the darkness of their first meeting. They didn’t seem human…

Then he raised his eyebrows a hair, and his mouth shifted into the hint of a smirk. He nodded at her, just barely, and it released her from her spell. Cocky, she thought. Cocky and arrogant, this one, and that was all there was to make of him. Whatever game he was playing, if he expected her to join he would be disappointed.

In a world where people born with an extreme skill --- called a grace --- are feared and exploited, Kasta carries the burden of a grace that even she despises: the grace of killing. She lives under the command of her uncle Randa, King of the Middluns, and is expected to execute his dirty work, punishing and torturing anyone who displeases him.

....................................

Or Terrier (The Legend of Beka Cooper, #1) by Tamora Pierce

Sixteen-year-old Beka Cooper lives far removed from knights, palaces, and the nobility. Her world revolves around thieves, beggars, taverns, and the lowest of the low. She's a trainee for the Provost's Guard—a rookie cop, in a world where a cop makes her own name based on her personality, her attitude toward money, and her love of the law. Beka means to prove that she is out to make her mark in this hard and physical world. She does face a large obstacle. She's shy. Painfully shy. It's hard for her to talk to people she doesn't know. It's a problem for the Guards who train her, a real problem for Beka—unless she can figure out that a uniform is a kind of costume, one she can hide behind. One that will make her a more outspoken person. Luckily, she has one friend living with her in her slum apartment: a purple-eyed black cat named Pounce. He can make himself understood in human speech if he wishes to. He's capable of doing weirdly intelligent things to help his young companion Beka. With Pounce to assist her, Beka cannot have an ordinary career.

(Oh, and she has magic. The book is a fantasy murder mystery, it’s great)

………………………………..

Another great book is Poison Study by Maria Snyder. I couldn't find a better description, but trust me, it's good! It has some mature stuff though, just a warning. I mean seriously mature stuff, I wouldn't suggest you take it on unless you're 18, otherwise you should probably wait. (Though it has some tough stuff, it's worth the read eventually.)

Here is a description:

About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered a reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace, and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia. And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust, and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison. As Yelena tries to escape her dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and she develops magical powers she can't control. Her life’s at stake again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren’t so clear! A romance blossoms, a power grows, and villians plot. Will Yelena be able to save her friends, and herself?

………………………………..

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Starts a little slow but gets amazing pretty quickly:

My name is Kvothe. I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day.

You may have heard of me.

so begins the tale of Kvothe—from his childhood in a troupe of traveling players, to years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-riddled city, to his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a difficult and dangerous school of magic. In these pages you will come to know Kvothe as a notorious magician, an accomplished thief, a masterful musician, and an infamous assassin. But The Name of the Wind is so much more—for the story it tells reveals the truth behind Kvothe's legend.

…………………………………..

I hope I helped, but if you don't like the sound of any of those then try this:

These links take the guess work out of choosing a book; they will match you and your preferences to a book that covers what you like to read about.

Enter a book you like and the site will analyse its database of real readers' favourite books (over 32,000 and growing) to suggest what you could read next.

http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/

http://tastekid.com/

http://goodreads.com/

http://www.gnod.net/

Good luck finding a book, and happy reading!

The Light that Failed by Rudyard Kipling

It's about an artist that is relatively successful at painting and falls madly in love with a lesbian. He goes blind due to an old wound just after finishing his crowning piece of art.

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn

About a day in the life of a prisoner in Russia just after WWII. It shows how being a prisoner in Russia is really no different that being a commoner in Russia under the current regime.

[Solzhenitsyn's other works are pretty amazing too]

Down and Out in Paris and London HG Wells

About a man who loses his income and is forced to live in poverty. Speaks heavily on how to make homeless impoverished persons more valuable to society and potentially fix the problem.

Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev

About the start of the Nihilist movement in Russia.

The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

A hilarious play. It's kind of hard to describe.

The Stranger by Albert Camus

I'm not sure how to describe it but Camus himself said it was about "the nakedness of man faced with the absurd."

Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski

About a boy growing up from the late 1930's through the 1950's. It's more interesting due to Bukowski's writing style

I could go on but I just thought of these off the top of my head. If you'd like to have more recommendations you can email me.

Perks of Being a Wallflower, Harry Potter, or Divergent.

Beautiful Creatures by kami garcia