Is a false positive possible?

My period is due in 3 days. I took a home pregnancy test and it was positive. My mom is bringing me a test from the hospital she works at. Would the test from the hospital be accurate since I still have 3 days till my period is due? My boobs hurt, my muscles ach, and the home test was positive. What are the chances of the home test being incorrect? And will the test from the hospital be accurate if I take it 3 days before my period and the home test was positive?

Best Answer

I never heard of a false positive using an at home pregnancy test. I've heard of false negative possibilities and that person still being pregnant. But if its positive whether before or after ur missed period chances are ur probably pregnant. Take another one just to be sure. If they're both positive, you're definitely pregnant.

The at home test is not likely to be incorrect. You're more likely to get a negative result when you are rather than the other way around. Depending on what test you took, it is accurate up to 3 days before your missed period.

The hospital test will give you a definitive result despite how far off you are form your period.

Yes a false positive is possible but it is very rare. The only way for it to be false would be to wait to long to read it and it can color where the result line is. If you read it in the right amount of time and did the test like you are suppose to then you are pregnant.

A false possible is more possible then people like to say they are. I knew someone that had every sign of pregnacy in the book. Morning sickness,freuquent urination,smelling odd things,cravings, you name it and she had it . She ended up freaking out so bad that it fooled her body into thinking she was pregnant. She took 2 pregnacy tests and one was postive and one was negatinve. She ended up getting her peroid a couple days later. It is really not a accurate result if you take it before your peroid is missed. It is best to take them after you have missed your peroid. And I would'nt take the hospital test until you have missed your peroid. Good luck and god bless

Source(s): Personal exceperiennces
  • AMW

HIghly unlikely that it's false. But take the second test and it should read the same positive if the sensitivity is the same as the one you already took.

the tests gauge the level of the hormone Human Chorionic Gonadatropine ( HCG ) in your urine . there are other posible reasons it could be high besides a pregnancy , such as a tumor in your woman's parts .

Source(s): i am not a doctor

Its possible, but extremly rare. If it says positive, you are likely pregnant. Congrats!

yes.