Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootballUEFA Champions League · 7 years ago

Was the 2009 Champions League semi-final between Chelsea and Barcelona fixed?

A Champions League game played in England in the last 4 years was fixed apparently. Anyone else reckon it was the semi-final in 2009 when Chelsea should have had at least 4 penalties?

Favorite Answer

Anything could be possible. Its better if we wait for the official announcements before jumping onto conclusions ourselves. Even if the game was fixed, I don't think the Barcelona players, or the coaching staff, has anything to do with that. Big clubs would never do such things.

Just like the Chelsea Vs Napoli round of 16 game was fixed last season for Chelsea Napoli 3-1 up after the first leg and they go on to lose the tie something happened here maybe the Russian Mafia bribed the referee's in the second leg for Chelsea to go through.

Was the Match Fixed ? NO.

If any parties, be it Chelsea, Barcelona or even the Match Officials did any such thing, their further participation/officiating would be banned for some years (Overbo's career as a Referee would be over, and as it is after that match he did not officiate UEFA matches for quite a while.)

Referee was under a lot of pressure and he clearly made a lot of mistakes. 4 penalties to Chelsea not given, One red card to a Barca Player not given, One incorrect Red Card to Barca player given.. these are lot of mistakes to be committed in a high profile games.

• ?

I was thinking exactly the same when I found out a champions league game had been fixed in England. The number of clear penalties Chelsea should have been awarded yet were never given was absurd. If it turns out to be true then Drogba had every right to call it what he did that day.

Frankly, I doubt it. That referee is just one of the worst in Europe, no idea why he was allowed to officiate a semi-final. He's the same one who knocked out Fiorentina on behalf of Bayern Munich with his terrible refereeing. I don't think gamblers usually use referees anyway- too risky. Easier to pay off the players.

Yes, that mug Sepp Blatter did not want another all English final. He hates English football and the referee knew what to do that game. I am a gooner and even I was disgusted at that result!

"I don't think the ref would send off a Barcelona player if it was..."

Apparently he linesman called that one. The ref was under pressure.

Yep, I thought it 4 years ago when it happened and still think so now. If it is found out to be that game, UEFA should issue a public apology to Drogba, as it was indeed, a disgrace.

I don't think the ref would send off a Barcelona player if it was...

• All

Yeah I agree