What is wrong with my car?

I can randomly get my car to start. It will turn over, but it just wont start. It doesn't click or anything.. Just sits there trying to start but it wont. I took it to a garage, but he was able to get it started every time that he started it so he didn't do anything with it. I figured well maybe I just have water in my tank so I put in a bottle of HEET to see if that was the case. I drove it around for a little bit that day, and yet again it wouldn't start once I got it back home. I called to see if I could get a tune up with a local company and explained what the car was doing. He said "Doesn't sound like spark plugs", I replied with "What does it sound like?" Of course his response is "I don't know".. How are you supposed to get a car fixed if you don't know what is wrong with it???? Can anybody help me pinpoint anything since it seems to start for a garage, but not me?

2000 Hyundai Elantra,

4 Cylinders F 2.0L MFI DOHC

Favorite Answer

I'm with the mechanic, there are too many possible causes to diagnose without putting it on the machine and doing the standard diagnosis procedures. I couldn't even guess what it can be.

My only advice, and it's just my theory is when you turn the key to the "ON" position and the dashboard lights come on, wait until all the ones that go out on their own go out. This allows the computer to make the necessary primary adjustments. You don't turn your computer on and start typing immediately. Oh, and don't touch the gas pedal at all when attempting to start or when it gets started, even if it's running rough.

Good luck.

If you can get to the spark plugs easily,pull one of the plug wires off the plug and place the end of the wire near the metal of the engine. when cranking the engine if you have spark from the wire or hearing a snapping sound reconnect the wire to the plug. this test tells you the problem is not electrical unless there is a problem with the computer. your next step is to make sure you are getting fuel to the engine.clogging filter, bad computer, marbles in the gas tank etc.

Source(s): personal experience
  • PMack

You'll have a much better chance at getting a useful answer if you reveal the year, make, model, and engine (if there is more than one possibility) information.