c asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 7 years ago

Can I make my cordless drill batteries jump start my car?

I have two 24 volt lithium ion drill batteries. I understand that car batteries are rated in cranking amps design to let out short burst of power in a short amount of time. But if I want my drill batteries to be a portable jump starter how would I go about doing this? I know I would need a 24 volt to 12 volt converter to basically make 2 24 volt batteries into 4 12 volt batteries. What about a large capacitor to charge up all the power at once and let it out in a burst? Or is it much more complicated than that?

Thanks for the answers thus far but I'm not really getting what I'm looking for. I realize you can buy a jump starter anywhere for cheaper. I also realize drill batteries are designed like car batteries to put out the quick amps. But I'm still wondering what would it take to make a drill battery put out the quick amps like a car battery does? The watts are there, so there has to be a way to do it one way or another. Is it a complete change in the internal chemistry of the battery? Or are we talking about something a little more simple like changing the internal wiring to larger gauge of wire in contact with more cells to allow more amps to go through the wiring and feed a capacitor?

• john c
    Favorite Answer

That would be like a jumper in car jumper that connects to the cigarette socket only the power from the car also charges the jumper so that is no good for your drill batteries. Get 4 to 8 6 amp diodes and connect them in series until the 24 volts is more like 12 or so depending on how good the drill batteries are. - http://www.vat19.com/dvds/auto-jumper-jumpstarts-c...

• crook

Drill Batterys

Lithium batteries are powerful, but don't compare

with the lead acid cells used for engine cranking.

The drill batteries are thermally limited to about 5-10 Amperes

(although they would provide more).

The lead acid cells are designed to deliver 1,000 Amperes for

a few seconds without falling below 10.5 Volts.

The total energy of the rechargeable battery packs don't

Meet a car's requirements.

For all the missing details see:

Simply put, a cordless drill battery doesn't have sufficient amperage to turn the starter on an automobile.

• Cris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaDfIQa0AN8

Youtube thumbnail

Man starting car with 18v drill battery directly connected to jumper cables.

Additionally, I know a guy on a online forum that told how he did this in the last few days when he was stuck out in the woods.

• Steven

You could rewire your batteries but then you have haywire mess when you could just buy it done for you in a tidy package.

.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-jump-start-an...