What are some good books?

I've been feeling really bored lately, and nothing else but a good book cheers me up. I love reading terribly, but I'm starting to feel almost like a type of writer's block. I like books with very strong protagonist, and books that are at a steady pace. I like things like Harry Potter, Doctor Who, John Green, and Meg Cabot. Please and thank you!

Favorite Answer

You could try Graceling by Kristen Cashore.

Here's a description (I hand typed it because I couldn't find it online, so any typo's are mine. Without further ado, the description:

His eyes. Kasta had never seen such eyes. One was silver and the other, gold. They glowed in his sun-darkened face, uneven, and strange. She was surprised that they hadn’t shown in the darkness of their first meeting. They didn’t seem human…

Then he raised his eyebrows a hair, and his mouth shifted into the hint of a smirk. He nodded at her, just barely, and it released her from her spell. Cocky, she thought. Cocky and arrogant, this one, and that was all there was to make of him. Whatever game he was playing, if he expected her to join he would be disappointed.

In a world where people born with an extreme skill --- called a grace --- are feared and exploited, Kasta carries the burden of a grace that even she despises: the grace of killing. She lives under the command of her uncle Randa, King of the Middluns, and is expected to execute his dirty work, punishing and torturing anyone who displeases him.

....................................

Tamora Pierce writes amazing, incredible, strong female fighters:

Alanna: The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness #1) by Tamora Pierce:

Alanna has always craved the adventure and daring allowed only for boys; her twin brother, Thom, yearns to learn the art of magic. So one day they decide to switch places: Disguised as a girl, Thom heads for the convent; Alanna, pretending to be a boy, is on her way to the castle of King Roald to begin her training to be a Knight. But the road to knighthood is not an easy one. As Alanna masters the skills necessary for battle, she must also learn to control her heart and to discern her enemies from her allies. Filled with swords and sorcery, adventure and intrigue, good and evil, Alanna's first adventure begins -- one that will lead to the fulfillment of her dreams and make her a legend in the land.

...............................................

Another great book is Poison Study by Maria Snyder. I couldn't find a better description, but trust me, it's good! It has some mature stuff though, just a warning. I mean seriously mature stuff, I wouldn't suggest you take it on unless you're 18, otherwise you should probably wait. (Though it has some tough stuff, it's worth the read eventually.)

Here is a description:

About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered a reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace, and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia. And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust, and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison. As Yelena tries to escape her dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and she develops magical powers she can't control. Her life’s at stake again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren’t so clear! A romance blossoms, a power grows, and villians plot. Will Yelena be able to save her friends, and herself?

………………………………..

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Starts a little slow but gets amazing pretty quickly:

My name is Kvothe. I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day.

You may have heard of me.

so begins the tale of Kvothe—from his childhood in a troupe of traveling players, to years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-riddled city, to his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a difficult and dangerous school of magic. In these pages you will come to know Kvothe as a notorious magician, an accomplished thief, a masterful musician, and an infamous assassin. But The Name of the Wind is so much more—for the story it tells reveals the truth behind Kvothe's legend.

…………………………………..

I hope I helped, but if you don't like the sound of any of those then try this:

These links take the guess work out of choosing a book; they will match you and your preferences to a book that covers what you like to read about.

http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/

http://tastekid.com/

http://goodreads.com/

http://www.gnod.net/

http://www.allconsuming.net/

Good luck finding a book, and happy reading!