Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 7 years ago

Does reading help people with dyslexia?

Does reading help people with dyslexia?

I am considering reading a book a week, apart from school/college reading, and I was wondering if that would help my dyslexia?

I love reading, but sometimes it's hard to keep doing it because I tend to flip letters and words around. Sometimes it makes me feel dizzy...

• Anne
    Favorite Answer

Reading will help. It will improve your reading speed (called fluency) which will help your reading comprehension.

To make the same progress in reading ability as a non-dyslexic, you'll need to read about 4 to 5 times more. Unfortunately, most dyslexics avoid reading. For them, it is slow and difficult and not enjoyable at all.

Read something you enjoy. Anything. Reading magazines counts if that's your preference. My dyslexic son enjoys reading Stephen King's books. He started with Mad Magazine and short stories and worked his way up.

If you can read a book a week, that's awesome. But if you can't, just read some every day. If you read 10 pages per day for a year, that's 3,650 pages, or about 10 full length books.

Good luck to you.

• MamaB

Reading certainly won't hurt you, but it won't make your dyslexia go away. The most recent studies have showed that learning about the structure of words (phonics and more), as well as practice does help many people with dyslexia.

There are many successful, educated people who have dyslexia, but have learned to work through it or around it.

My son is in 6th grade and has severe dyslexia. YES reading does help him. Every time he reads he feels sleepy and starts yawning. The more he practices, the better he gets. Reading will always be a struggle for him, but he is improving day by day. Even though my son is in 6th grade, he still practices phonics every day.

If you intend to show your child quickly how to read then Children Learning Reading from here https://tr.im/cvR33 can help you.

Children Learning Reading is made by small classes, enough to keep the eye period of a small child but can also be successful enough to instruct the child to learn — also at a very early age.

This program relies around a principle named phonemes, which are (in very simple terms), the appears that produce up words we used in our daily language. This program seeks to show your youngster to see by first gathering your child's power to read and realize the phonemes which make up everyday words. After your youngster may try this then they have all the various tools they have to start making feeling of new words, that'll in turn produce their reading skills tougher and stronger.

No, it's not a lack of practice.

Some dyslexics *can* improve their fluency by reading with audio support...that is, listening to books on tape while they read the words in the book.