Can you get Tetanus from food you cut with a rusty knife?

I've recently unknowingly been using a knife with a little rusty on it to cut my food before I cook it. This made me wonder if i could get tetanus.

Favorite Answer

Jonathan, it surprises many people to learn that rust has NOTHING to do with getting tetanus. Rust results when iron reacts with oxygen in air to form iron oxide - that's all. Tetanus is a bacterial disease caused by the bacteria named Clostridium tetani. This bacteria can form a surrounding, protective spore and live in the soil for over a thousand years. (was found in a rare Egyptian mummy). If the rusty nail or knife was lying in the soil before causing a DEEP penetrating wound through your skin, then you would have to consider the possibility of getting infected, but, hopefully you are a wise person who gets a protective tetanus immunization ("shot") every 10 years. BTW, the tetanus bacteria is destroyed by stomach and digestive acids and could not cause an infection if you swallowed any in your food. NOW, get a rust-free, clean knife which would not contain other bad bugs.

Source(s): an MD

No. You can only get Tetanus if you cut yourself with something rusty. But cutting food with a little bit of a rusty knife, and eating it, won't do anything to you. You'll be fine. Hope this helped. :)

Source(s): My Doctor
  • ahnell

Rusty Knives

Smoke a cigarette. The smoke will suffocate the bacteria in your stomach..

possbily. I would stop eating with that knife if I were you

WHY WOULD U USE A RUSTY KNIFE...

IDK BUT IT MIGHT BE A PROBABILITY