is it illegal in new jersey to have led lights on your motorcycle?

I bought a new motorcycle and I want to put led lights through-out the bike. Is it illegal to ride with them on in the state of new jersey?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • pmaxu
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It depends on the color. All lights have to be either White, Red, or Amber. Of course, they also have to be correctly colored for their purpose, so you can't have White break lights, or a Red headlight, etc.

All of it's in your state laws, specifically Title 39, Motor Vehicle and Traffic Regulation, sections 39:3-54:10. (I'm not going to hunt for it, so you'll have to look it up yourself, or talk to a dealer who should know the laws, too).

So, it doesn't matter if they're led lights if they match the correct color, but if you're one of those people that wants to turn your headlights green, or blue, or whatever, then you could potentially get in trouble for it.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

convinced, they're unlawful everywhere contained in the U. S. because they're an unauthorized change to a federally mandated protection gadget. Enforcement varies yet if you end up in touch by a rear end collision the position someone has run into the lower back of your vehicle and think ofyou've got smoked tail light fixtures, you are able to ought to pay instead of the guy in the back of paying, and your coverage received't conceal it because of your unlawful change. EDIT - it truly is illegitimate in each state in spite of in case you've been to position in bulbs to make the output similar. The light fixtures require certification, a procedure it extremely is impractical for someone. The police are literally not the priority; the attorneys are.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

If you mean puting colored lights to light up your bike its illegal everywhere but the police dont care as long as its not red. Only brakelights can be red because of emergency vehicles

• 7 years ago

Yes, any lighting that is non-DOT is not legal. It is OK to have it if it is not on while you are riding and you wanna light it up while it is parked at the Coffee shop or something.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.