What happened to my salmon patties?

I wanted to have salmon patties for supper. I use a lot of oil to make an almost deep fried version, so I stopped by the grocery store and grabbed some oil. I got the store brand vegetable oil because they had a big display of it that I could grab quickly. When I got home I mixed up the canned salmon with eggs,... show more I wanted to have salmon patties for supper. I use a lot of oil to make an almost deep fried version, so I stopped by the grocery store and grabbed some oil. I got the store brand vegetable oil because they had a big display of it that I could grab quickly. When I got home I mixed up the canned salmon with eggs, seasoned bread crumbs, a little milk to make the right consistency, and seasonings. I usually use flour, but since there was not enough bread crumbs left to save for another recipe, I just dumped in all the bread crumbs and omitted the flour.
In the meantime I cooked some frozen breaded shrimp I had in the freezer in the oil. They turned out right.
When I dropped the first four salmon patties in the oil, the oil foamed up really bad, kind of looked like dish soap suds, and the patties just disintegrated - did not hold their shape whatsoever. I grabbed a slotted spoon and retrieved all that mess from the oil. I stirred it back into the remaining salmon patty mixture that had not been used yet and added two more eggs.
This time the patties held together for the most part, but the oil still foamed, and the patties turned too dark too quick.
In the end we had blackened salmon patties that were about a 4 on a scale of 1 to 10 and a total embarrassment to me.
The oil that was left in the pan was pretty much clear with black crumbs in the bottom. I don't think the oil was overheated.
I have been cooking salmon patties for 25 years. Sometimes they are better than other times, but these were by far the WORST salmon patties I have ever turned out.
Can someone please tell me what went wrong so I won't have this catastrophe happen again?!?!
Thanks!