Why do many atheists hate Religion?

i am atheist myself and have never hated or tried to insult religious people in any way, in fact i support them most of the time because they often want to do good deeds for no personal gain. but why are there many atheists that seem to want to downplay religion at every Corner? for example even on the wikipedia page on atheism it talks about completely unrelated things like that in some state that's mostly atheist has less murders than a state that mostly Christian? what exactly does that have to do with the meaning of Atheism? so the only conclusion that i can come to that they hate Religion, and want to downplay it in any way. is it because of something that's happened in there life that makes many atheists hate Religion? or is it the common human problem of attacking someone with different Beliefs? or something Else?

Best Answer

Because they were either done wrong by religious people, or they feel betrayed by religion in some way.

Hate is a strong word, but I think that religion causes a ridiculous amount of stress in many people's lives and that's part of the reason why I'm against it. People come on this website obsessing over some insignificant thought they had 10 years ago, thinking that "God" is going to send them to hell for it. Some of these people literally sound like God is monitoring every single thought that comes into their heads. People say that religion makes them happy but it's pretty clear that a lot of people would be happier without these beliefs.

Jeros- what you see as religion ( completely happy comfortable pleasure joy) isn't what I see as faith (sad unhappy hate hate ) which is a component of the quandary. I'll admit faith or devout persons within the title of faith do some good ( bringing meals to men and women ) however I additionally see the unhealthy. You admit the equal matters however feel the good outweighs the dangerous ( certainly in the event you count in the whole heaven thing and with ease ignore the whole hell factor ).Suffering , if God exists, IS Gods fault b/c he's all-powerful. So much the equal means in case you let your youngster play with a nest of ants and she or he will get covered with antbites it is your fault she suffers.'isn't that hypocritical?/yes, it's' - why do you ask if you're simply going to reply?- As for hating faith, you ought to appreciate why we hate religion (and now not ALL faith and now not even all christianity. Not the Amish for illustration )- it can be for the reason that we define it as just about the worst thing to ever exist. We see it as a trouble to scientific growth and thus the curing of diseases and the creation of more fertile farming approaches and on and on. Science has a validated monitor file of helping mankind. Faith would not. Faith has a track file of helping begin wars and oppression. Science doesn't. So, you see Strawberry Shortcake and we see the monster from the Aliens movies.

• Zach

Some do and some dnt, I'm an atheist and I dnt hate anything. I have likes and dislikes about religion I myself am atheist/Buddhist. Buddhism for me is half philosophy half religious. Some buddhists believe in a creator some do not it's just not taught in Buddhism

I can understand why atheists dislike religion. It has caused many negative effects in our world; however, as you said, religious people also cause positive things because of their beliefs. Just like anything in life there are pros and cons with religion.

Religion slows down overall progression of the human race.

• Bast

Reasons to hate religion:

Anti-gay laws, homophobia, anti-gay hate crimes such as beatings/killings of gay people and bombings of gay night clubs.

Anti-choice laws, sl*t shaming of women who merely want to control their bodies, terrorizing women who seek reproductive health care, bombing of women's clinics.

Misogyny

Stifling of scientific progress

Child rape by clergy that is covered up, denied, and ignored by churches.

Demonization of atheists, discrimination against atheists, death threats against atheists, etc.

Mutilation of children's genitals because "god" commands it.

Prayer being forced on us with taxpayer dollars by government officials, taxpayer funded monuments to religion on public land, "faith based initiative" which funnels taxpayer money to religious groups.

Etc, etc, etc.

"for example even on the wikipedia page on atheism it talks about completely unrelated things like that in some state that's mostly atheist has less murders than a state that mostly Christian? what exactly does that have to do with the meaning of Atheism? "

Who said it has anything to do with the meaning of atheism? It has to do with the fact that religion is poison. Highly religious nations/states have higher rates of violent crimes, STDs, unintended pregnancies, homophobia, racism, sexism, poverty and other social ills.

http://www.secularnewsdaily.com/2011/05/non-religi...

http://www.pitzer.edu/academics/faculty/zuckerman/...

So you ask "why do many atheists hate religion"? What's to like about religion?

I don't hate anyone or anything. Hatred is such a strong emotion, why waste it on something as inconsequential as religion? I leave hatred to the fundamentalists, they are so very good at it.

ATHEISTS,,,,those who do not believe in God, are in fact supporting his opposition 100%...supporting Satan...

Everything that Jehovah God wants for us...Satan does not.

Every teaching of Satan's organisation is contrary to what is the truth

Jesus taught he has a father in heaven...

Satans group tries to say Jesus IS God...

No need to identify THEM.

THE TRUTH IS CLEAR IN THE SCRIPTURES...

Source(s): NWT

Religion causes wars, gives people false hope, makes people racist, homophobic and orders people to kill in the name of god.

Source(s): Atheist who hates religion