What do you think of these references on the real meaning of the term 'soul' in the Bible?

****(I know it's a few paragraphs to read, but it's very fascinating. Please take a moment to do so & share with me your thoughts. How does it affect your beliefs regarding what you've always thought the term 'soul' to mean in the Bible?)**** --- The original-language terms (Heb., ne′phesh... show more ****(I know it's a few paragraphs to read, but it's very fascinating. Please take a moment to do so & share with me your thoughts. How does it affect your beliefs regarding what you've always thought the term 'soul' to mean in the Bible?)****

--- The original-language terms (Heb., ne′phesh [נֶפֶשׁ]; Gr., psy·khe′ [ψυχή]) as used in the Scriptures actually translate “soul” to be a person, an animal, or the life that a person or an animal enjoys, never referencing a separate part of us that leaves the body & goes on after death.

---When The Jewish Publication Society of America issued a new translation of the Torah, or first five books of the Bible, the editor-in-chief, H. M. Orlinsky of Hebrew Union College, stated that the word “soul” had been virtually eliminated from this translation because, “the Hebrew word in question here is ‘Nefesh.’” He added: “Other translators have interpreted it to mean ‘soul,’ which is completely inaccurate. The Bible does not say we HAVE a soul. ‘Nefesh’ is THE PERSON HIMSELF, his need for food, the very blood in his veins, his being.”—The New York Times, October 12, 1962.

---The New Catholic Encyclopedia admits: “Nepes [ne′phesh] is a term of far greater extension than our ‘soul,’ signifying life (Ex 21.23; Dt 19.21) and its various vital manifestations: breathing (Gn 35.18; Jb 41.13[21]), blood [Gn 9.4; Dt 12.23; Ps 140(141).8], desire (2 Sm 3.21; Prv 23.2). The soul in the O[ld] T[estament] MEANS NOT PART OF A MAN, BUT THE WHOLE MAN—man as a living being. Similarly, in the N[ew] T[estament] it signifies human life: the life of an individual, conscious subject (Mt 2.20; 6.25; Lk 12.22-23; 14.26; Jn 10.11, 15, 17; 13.37).”—1967, Vol. XIII, p. 467.

---The Roman Catholic translation, The New American Bible, in its “Glossary of Biblical Theology Terms” (pp. 27, 28), says: “In the New Testament, to ‘save one’s soul’ (Mk 8:35) does not mean to save some ‘spiritual’ part of man, as opposed to his ‘body’ (in the Platonic sense) but THE WHOLE PERSON with emphasis on the fact that the person is living, desiring, loving and willing, etc., in addition to being concrete and PHYSICAL.”—Edition published by P. J. Kenedy & Sons, New York, 1970.

How does this affect your beliefs regarding what you've always thought the term 'soul' to mean in the Bible, to find that when translated it actually simply means a live being, not a separate part of us that goes on after death?
And that some mainstream religions have admitted this, yet still teach otherwise in their doctrine?
10 answers 10