Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 years ago

What do you think about this Tennessee bill that will force teachers to report gay students to parents?

Apparently there is a new bill being proposed by Tennessee legislators that will require teachers by law to report children suspected for being of LGBT to their parents.

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/30/tennessee_dont_say...

At the rate these fascists are going, they might as well just make gay students wear pink ribbons just like the freaking Nazis.

@Alien: You are an evil piece of fascist scum. Go fúck yourself.

As long as they are reported only to parents or guardians, I don't see a problem with it. It would be up to the parents to decide what if anything to do about it.

As a parent I would like to know if one of my children were homosexual. I would not want the schools reporting it to anyone else, however. And I would want my child's privacy otherwise protected.

I might add that I would not punish my child, nor would I take any action to have him or her counseled or treated. I don't approve of homosexuality, but I would discuss the matter with the child if and as I found it appropriate. After such discussion I might disagree with the school's conclusion about that child.

But, as a parent, I would want whatever was in the child's best interests, and I would want him or her protected, not punished.

As a conservative Christian I think it is a terrible idea. It isn't the place of the school to do such things.

But seriously it is a proposed bill. I don't know what is needed to propose a bill in the Tennessee legislator, but it is far from a law. So don't knee jerk about this. And if you do not live in Tennessee it really isn't your business what they do. They can have inappropriate laws if they want.

California has all sorts of laws I don't agree with on many levels, but I am not up in arms about them. I just will never live in California.

• Kati

Ideally, parents should know. Many people are afraid to come out to their parents in school for fear they'll be punished or even kicked out of the house. For most that doesn't happen. STill, the fear is there because of the 25% that end up homeless after coming out to their folks. Kids will come out in their own ways at their own time for their own reasons and forcing a coming out onto them only hurts kids and that's not cool.

Is it any worst than the proposed law that would require anyone with a child in Public school to report if there is a firearm in the house?

Here is another rotten bill from the great state of Tennessee.

Tennessee Bill Would Make Kids Earn Welfare With Good Grades

They'll have benefits cut 30% without 'satisfactory academic progress'

Is it something in the water?

this sounds so stupid. if it was something that could be harmful to the child like being on drugs or being suicidal, then yes it would be good to tell the kids parents. but being gay isn't any sort of problem or issue, and if they are they should be able to tell their parents on their own when they want to. I don't think teachers should be involved in reporting on their students' sexual preferences

• Oscar

If parents have to be told. They really aren't paying attention to the kid at all are they?

If they don't know they don't want to know. So the purpose of telling them straight out would be what?

After being told. They could do what about it? Ground them till they are 75. Give them a time out? Take away their playstation?

The parents should know. The parents need to be involved in the education of their children, including (and especially) sex ed. Now whether it's the job of the school to let them know, that's debatable, but I think that if what student's classmates and/or teachers observe, his parents should know most or all of the facts about it.

Another point I'd like to bring up is that gays are not the same as Jews. The Jews were being persecuted because of merely their heritage and where they came from, not of any action of theirs. The reason it seems that gays are persecuted is because they ARE doing something wrong. The Bible literally calls homosexuality an abomination (not homosexuals, just the acts they commit). It is wrong. And don't say that they're born that way, it has to do with upbringing and the parental roles being filled properly. Nobody is born gay. Don't call lawmakers Nazis just because they try to outlaw or hinder certain types of lifestyles. They outlaw the type of murderous, thieving, and raping lifestyles that would destroy society if left unchecked, yet nobody complains except the murderers, thieves, and rapists.

It's just another story I stack away in my examples of how conservatives don't actually want "small government" in any way, shape or form.

If i had a kid. And some stupid teacher ever called me to say my kid was in "danger" of being gay. Well, lets just say I would go to that school and ALL HELL would bust loose. I would get locked up, but my point would get across.