In Hardcore Terraria, can the Corruption infect the whole map?

I only started playing in easy since I'm a beginner and thus am only slowly branching out in a small world size. It seems the best fun comes from going to hard or hardcore mode (correct me if I'm wrong) and that means according to the Terraria wiki, the corruption spreads. So my question is if this is true and constantly happens, does that mean it can completely and irreversibly take over the whole map?

Favorite Answer

The only way the corruption can spread if there is no sunflowers i.e. D=Dirt S=Sunflower C = Corruption A= Corruption can spread

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDCCCCCCCCCCCCCCSSSSSSSSSSSSDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Source(s): My own experienced

If you're talking about softcore and hardcore characters, they won't affect the map at all. Corruption can spread but won't take over the entire map unless you plant a ton of corrupt stuff around. There's plenty of stuff that stops the corruption, such as sunflowers, sand, etc.