Quarter of Americans think god influences sporting events?

According to the article linked below, a poll has indicated that a quarter of Americans think god influences sporting events. Among non-white Christians and evangelicals, the figure rises to 40%.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/29/poll-quar...

I'm curious. Why do these people think their god cares about a football score or a home run, but doesn't feel the need to intervene in war, sickness or the mass murder of children in their school classroom?

What kind of god is that exactly? An amoral sports nut?

Update:

@twinkle toes: An omnipotent omniscient entity which cared about all people would not stand idly by and ignore the deaths of millions of innocent children every year, or ignore the plight of civilians in war or a hundred other injustices. Saying he loves these people is an insult to them.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

i don't think those people think through things. i'm sure they would feel differently if they actually payed attention to stories that weren't about sports. but IDK. some of these people seem to 'rationalize' horrific events in very twisted ways to justify their idea of a 'loving' god.

• 8 years ago

It's not too surprising. Superstitious beliefs are very common in (professional) sports.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

God cares about all people.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.