Benefit/council tax/housing fraud over 7yrs. amounting to £30,000. If they offer a penalty is it worth it?

A friend realised she had not been filling the forms in right. So she contacted Council and P.Credits. She is paying back the P.C. and when Council give her the figures, she will have to pay that back too. Her worry is they may prosecute. Or they may make her pay a penalty instead of prosecution. My question... show more A friend realised she had not been filling the forms in right. So she contacted Council and P.Credits.
She is paying back the P.C. and when Council give her the figures, she will have to pay that back too.
Her worry is they may prosecute. Or they may make her pay a penalty instead of prosecution.

My question is (on her behalf) is she better off paying the extra penalty if they offer it (and what is it likely to be - on web it states "the greater of 50% of the amount owed" - whatever that means), rather than getting prosecuted.