Could I have essential tremor?

Im 16, and my hands shake all the time..sometimes worse than others...sometimes it get so bad that I can't write.

5 Answers

  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Essential tremor is a neurological condition that causes rhythmic shaking of the hand(s) head, or voice when in action. It can also affect (although more rare) the legs, trunk and even internally. Essential tremor can affect individuals at any age, including infancy, although the median age of onset is around 40 yrs. It is important to get a proper diagnosis from a Movement Disorder Neurologist. You can use the International Essential Tremor Foundation (IETF) list: or call your local hospital and ask if they have a Movement Disorder Neurologists on staff. ET is often misdiagnosed, so seeing a specialist is important. This is a progressive condition, but the rate of progression is very individualized--some tremor never progresses beyond an annoyance.

    I am the Communications and Volunteer Program Corrd. for the IETF. Please contact our Foundation for more information on ET. You can also request a free info packet or download free educational materials. Email the IETF at or call toll free 888.387.3667.

  • 8 years ago


    Since I am not a doctor, I do not know what you have but it seems evident it is a movement disorder.

    I am a former sufferer of dystonia and want to offer you my support if you are still struggling with this awful disorder or another movement type of neurological disorder.

    I have put many years of my life into helping dystonia sufferers find relief, and through my efforts was able to get a medical study done at Johns Hopkins Medical Center with the program that helped me.

    It is my pleasure and privilege to work full time in helping dystonia sufferers find relief and get educated

    on the health fundamentals that I have discovered that can make a huge difference on improving one's health.

    I have been effective in helping dozens of dystonia sufferers find relief and have worked with those in

    22 countries and 48 states. Please feel free to call me if you would like to learn more about my work

    and how I have been helping others.

    There is nothing more enjoyable than seeing those I work with find the relief and hope as I received many years ago.

    For more information, please visit my website at

    Thank you.

    Steve Zarren

  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

    Have your parents get you to your family doctor and ask him/her for a referral to a neurologist. Be careful to avoid self-diagnosis, as the shaking could have a number of causes. If you can't get to your family doctor or to a neurologist, ask your school nurse/health care worker for help - medical or otherwise. It is important to check it out ASAP. Though ET isn't totally unheard of for young people, it is more common in the middle-aged or older group. But it could also be a symptom of something else - maybe something treatable.

    Rebecca, thanks for the very factual and important answer, but remember that the parents need to be involved, if possible, with a 16-year-old.

    Steve, how did you get a study started? I work at a University, but have no idea how to get the AHC to do something with this. If it requires a substantial donation, I can't do it.

    Source(s): experience
  • 8 years ago

    It's possible, although you're very young to be getting that. You could also be having parkinsonism if you are taking medications. You might also have some other type of medical problem that has tremor as a side effect. You need to see a neurologist to get it diagnosed.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

    I have essential tremor. My 20 year old son has it. Your physician can help diagnosis it for you. If one of your parents has it, you are more likely to have it.

    Source(s): Personal experience and
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.