Bacteria infecting insects?

Bacteria infecting insects?

I searched a lot! actually that what made me really lost right now!

Any sub topics u would suggest!

It's a really open topic that's whats hard right now, any help plz

Update:

Thank u, it's a term paper, every student had a title including insects diseases, I'm kind of confused about what exactly to include in this paper! that's my question to be more clear, and thank u again.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I agree that you need to narrow your focus.Infrequently observed, insects and mites often suffer from lethal disease. Periodically, epizootics resulting from infection by fungi, bacteria, protozoa, or viruses may sweep through an insect population

Can you look into human disease carried by insects?

Diseases and insects go hand-in-hand. Many times, the damage of one opens the door for the other. For example, the wounds caused by chewing insects leave openings in foliage and stems for bacteria and fungi to enter the plant. Some insects act as vectors for disease. In other words, they actually carry the live virus in or on their bodies. When they suck the plant's juices through their stylets, the virus is transferred to the plant where it thrives

Diseases are defined as abnormal alterations of the internal (physiological) and/or external (morphological) development of the plant. In many cases, infectious microorganisms, called pathogens, cause disease by entering the plant by penetrating the plant epidermis, through a natural opening such as stomates or, more often, through a wound in the plant. The pathogens reproduce within the plant and cause areas of infection called "infection centers". While chemicals are a last resort for management of a pathogen, most can be managed by employing sound cultural practices, monitoring plants for early diagnosis and management, and by planting resistant species.

Over 90 species of naturally occurring, insect-specific (entomopathogenic) bacteria have been isolated from insects, plants, and the soil, but only a few have been studied intensively. Much attention has been given to Bacillus thuringiensis, a species that has been developed as a microbial insecticide. Using bacteria to control insect pests.

Primary hosts: caterpillars; some beetle and fly larvae

Key characters: larvae stop eating, become limp and shrunken, die and decompose

Crops: many

Commercially available: yes -- several species and varieties

How Insects Domesticate Bacteria | University of Utah News

It “shows the origin of the mutually beneficial symbiotic relationship between bacteria and insects,”

Source(s): Some ideas
  • runkle
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Not stunning that Wolbachia got here up! This micro organism is currently being passaged by way of native mosquitoes in southern u.S.A. Due to the fact a mosquito carrying Wolbachia is less more likely to transmit viral pathogens like Dengue and Yellow Fever. NEATO! Number one stop totally free entry papers needs to be PLOS: the public Library of Science. Excellent luck digging!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.