What kind of Grid-Tie inverter should I use on a double-wide(mobile) home?

I heard of them just being plugged into an AC socket and everything is OK, but I also heard that there can be no other loads going to it, I don't know what that means.

Does that mean anything in the house plugged up to AC plugs or

does it just mean that one AC outlet where I plug the inverter up to?

Or is there some other meaning to what it they are talking about?

This is the one I'd like to buy, but I need more information on any possible dangers:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005N2WHDI/ref=ox...

Also, with this 300 watt inverter, do my solar panels have to be 300 watts or is that the limit and I can use everything below 300 watts, (for now I only have a 100 watt solar panel)?

Favorite Answer

Rudydoo gave you a good answer, and I'd just add a couple of things. Most power companies want to inspect any solar power source you feed into the grid, to make sure it will shut down in case of a grid failure (to protect linemen), and to determine whether it will cause grid instability (not a problem with your potential setup). Call them and ask them.

With a small setup like you have, your loads will be 95+ % covered by the power company. The caution is likely only to refer to the outlet you plug the inverter into.

You can use any panel up to 300 watts. The more panel, the more power costs you'll displace, Just for perspective, if your electricity costs 10 cents/kwh, and you get an average of 5 hours/day of good sun, you'll feed 0.5 kwh back into the grid every day. That's 5 cents/day, or about $18/year. You'll make the price of the inverter back in about 6 years (if it lasts that long). I'm not sure if that is a good investment.

DK

Hey Valentine, it doen't matter if you live in a double wide, a shed or a mansion, inverters still do the same thing. Grid tie inverters are growing out of the cracks in the sidewalks these days, there are lots of them around. As little as 10 years ago, the only option was the Trace Microsine Inverter. About then they stopped making them and changed their name to Xantrex, and another company came along to fill the void, the Enphase micro inverter, a link is below. The big difference between the Enphase, and the Mass Power (the one you are talking about) is it's history. Enphase has been making devices like this for years, mass power just modified some existing electronics in their factory to work as micro grid tie inverters. Many of them have been sold since 2011, and most are still working.

My biggest word of caution is that the mass power, and many like them are not UL or CSA listed, which means they have not been tested for electrical or fire code requirements to be used inside a home. If you install this in your home, and it catches fire, you might end up wrangling with the insurance company on covering your house. It isn't likely, but if it happens, it's catastrophic.

Any grid tie micro inverter that comes with an AC line cord can be plugged into any normal outlet, and you can plug in anything else in the house right along side of it. Even if the fuse to that circuit blows, and your radio is directly connected to the inverter, the inverter is supposed to shut down in less than 1/2 second once the incoming signal from the power company is gone. We have a grid tie inverter running at our place now, it has to be tested for this feature before the power company will allow you to hook into their system. It also has to be UL listed in the United States, CSA in Canada, and so on. Mass pro is not listed anyplace. So what I'm saying is it will likely work fine, but I wouldn't run the panel wiring in through the bedroom window, and lay the inverter on the carpet and plug it in next to the bed, if it malfunctions, you might not wake up in the morning. Maybe you can put the inverter in the garage, or outside somplace where it won't rain on it. Or check out Enphase. I've also seen used Trace microsine models on ebay, they actually mount on the back of the panel, so you just have the AC line cord, which can feed through an extension cord to an outlet.

Try doing a bit more research on this, look at the links below, and don't put too much investment in what you hear on online forums like this. In my experience using and teaching solar and wind power the last 13 years, I've learned that there are three things in vast supply, wind, sun, and missinformation. It always amazes me how people are willing to chime in on these subjects, who have never laid a hand on a panel, inverter or wind turbine. Good luck Valentine, and take care, Rudydoo

• Erika

The eBay jobs are technically in violation of the countrywide Electrical Code, as there is no approach to insure that they're on a committed circuit, and likewise, they don't seem to be "completely hooked up." if you happen to plug one in, it on the whole will work to a point. It possible voids the terms of your home-owner's coverage, if any, so in case your condominium burns down, you might be for your possess. Another part influence is that some newer meters read only the magnitude of vigour going by way of them, not the course. That means that you would theoretically emerge as getting charged for each kWh you generate, at the commonplace electric rates, when the electrical organization must be paying you. The legal technique to set things up is to contact your electrical manufacturer and ask what you must do. In our case, the electric company said that as long as a building inspector signed off, they were almost always excellent with it. We received a permit from the town to put in sunlight, which price $200, and the inspector came by and signed off. Then the electrical manufacturer came with the aid of, saw the signoff, and a few days later, despatched us a proper letter with permission to connect. So we had been wholly included legally.