Why won't Condo Association allow pets for renters?

Only irresponsible renters with pets is the only reason I can think of for such a rule for no pets. To allow no pets for every renter based off that some renters can be irresponsible is unreasonable to me. I'm sure there is a better method to ensure irresponsible renters cannot have pets.

I called my condo association, and they said it was nonnegotiable, but refused to give me a reason for the no pet rule for renters. I can be kind of stubborn, and I feel like I need a reason for this rule. Can anyone give me a better reason than irresponsible renters? If not, I'll have to haggle my condo association until they do give me a better reason.

I understand I signed the lease and am only looking for reasons why this rule might be in affect. Thank you!

Favorite Answer

In my state, renters and owners in condominiums can't have different rules. If pets are allowed in owner-occupied units, they are allowed in rented units. That wouldn't prevent an owner from making a rule that there would be not pets in the unit he rents out.

• Probably because the renter isn't liable for the condition of the outdoor areas, and they are worries that if damage comes to the property the actual owner would say they aren't responsible because it was the renter, and the renter would say they don't own the property and didn't do anything wrong. Don't see how this can't be fixed with a pet liability section in the rental agreement.

You can't predetermine who is irresponsible for sure, so you ban all renters from having pets. ALL rules are made to avoid the few people who would screw it up without the rule in place. Most people would not murder anyone, but you have to make murder a crime to deter those who would. Same with stealing, etc.

They don't NEED a reason. The rule is the rule, end of story. A condo bylaw is not negotiable.

Hi greg. This is just a standard rules and regulations of a certain condo or apartments. You cannot control the things that your pet is doing even you are inside your room. That is why, to prevent distractions caused by pets. Just no pets allowed in these kind of commercial spaces. Just a thought.

The reason IS because renters are not as responsible for a home as the owner would be. It's not their home & not their problem...

• Ryan M

You don't need a reason other than "Because they said so". It isn't your property and you do not get to make the rules. They do not owe you an explanation and do not answer to you.

They don't have to give you a reason other than it's the rules. You signed a lease so you must abide by the rules.

realtor.sailor

Source(s): I'm a Realtor

It's a standard thing in apts and other leased spaces. Managers are required to enforce these leases.