How to be more flexible?

I am now in beginning dance and today, as the first day, we sat on the floor as my teacher talked about the class. When i got up from sitting "criss cross apple sauce" I could barely walk for my knees were in intense pain. This happens a lot, along with intense back and neck pain from lying down or... show more I am now in beginning dance and today, as the first day, we sat on the floor as my teacher talked about the class. When i got up from sitting "criss cross apple sauce" I could barely walk for my knees were in intense pain. This happens a lot, along with intense back and neck pain from lying down or sitting on a chair without a back on it for a little while. I cant even bend down without holding onto my back in pain! I have the problems of an old man as a fourteen year old girl! It is a genetic problem, I believe, for my dad goes through the same issues.

All these muscle cramps and pains are becoming a burden. (Beastly one!) i used to ignore it all, but i shouldnt have. Ive abused my body with my games and acts of "fulfilling the moment" and did not stop to think about how it would affect me in the future.

What i need are some stretches and exercises to avoid all this pain and be fairly flexible. I know it will be difficult because im pretty old (pretty odd!) but its important i start now. You cant fight genetics (but you can for your right to party), i know. But i can cope with the negative things i have inherited.