Why are affluent pregnant women from China legally coming to the US but then choosing illegal birthing hotels?

I first heard the term "maternity tourism" a couple of years ago when I was in Beijing and caught the end of an English-language news program about the trend, but I didn't do further research into it. I also heard snippets on NPR about it, but not the complete story. Tonight I caught part of a news... show more I first heard the term "maternity tourism" a couple of years ago when I was in Beijing and caught the end of an English-language news program about the trend, but I didn't do further research into it. I also heard snippets on NPR about it, but not the complete story. Tonight I caught part of a news segment on NBC about the investigation of suspected "maternity hotels" illegally operating as birthing centers in Los Angeles and San Francisco. These are primarily converted apartment complexes staffed with midwives and other medical personnel who are working below the radar, where foreign women (primarily Chinese) pay upwards of $30,000 to stay and give birth to their children. I understand that the purpose of them coming to the US is for their children to be born here and entitled to right to be a US Citizen with the benefits and privileges that it entails. (Though there are also many disadvantages when they return to China) I know that this also is advantageous to the parents because when their US-born child turns 21 they will be eligible to apply for green cards and emigrate. What I'm confused about is why the women would go through the laborious process to secure the legal right to come to the US, but then chose to give birth in an illegal birthing center instead of a hospital. Is it because they are coming to the US under false pretenses, such as claiming to come for a vacation, and not disclosing that they are pregnant? According to the segment I heard on NPR, most either come before they are six months into their pregnancy, or disguise how far along they are in order to bypass most airline's policy about women flying late in pregnancy. Regardless of where they give birth, it's going to be obvious that they were deceptive when they reenter China with a US-born baby, so why not choose a hospital? Are they just wanting to live in a prearranged place along with other pregnant women who have come to the US with a similar intent until their due date? If the child is registered as being born in the US, would it matter if he or she was born in a safe, legal hospital or an illegal birthing center?

I'm aware that I could most likely find the answer to my question on my own, but I have a massive paper to work on tonight, so I'm just taking thirty seconds to ask this instead of researching the matter. Sorry for being a lazybones!!!